The 19th park...not very exciting we agreed. However, there was an elder woman walking laps and I thought it was a perfect place for that. When we were leaving, we noticed an elder man heading towards the 'dog park' section. He had a little dog that was running around him in circles as he walked. An accident waiting to happen, yes? I'm so cautious about falls these days. The view beyond, at the edge of this photo, was of city buildings and homes and cars - all glittering in the sunshine. Just below the park, across the road is the "new" Senior Center. I was shocked to read online that it was actually opened in 2019. Where does the time go?!!
I've been surrounded by paper. I've completed much of what I'd planned and finish up the last bits soon. Then I will warp the little loom too.
WHIMSICAL CAT POCKETS are so cute and easy – thanks to dear Ada! LINK 29:19 minutes (She chats a lot, in case you want to scroll ahead to the instructions)
*A Vintage matchbook cover. I remember all of those warnings from when I was a kid 🙂
You can find other ideas for making birds HERE or HERE (long video)...or anywhere else you can find them! There are a lot!
I had so much fun finding bits and bobs of papers to use for the "tags", which I tucked into the pockets. I intentionally left the tags blank so folks could play along and use them as they like. Paint sample cards and old matchbooks were two favorites to use.
I made many of the Cat Pockets and some of the birds using pages from the book below by Sabrina Ward Harrison. I am really not comfortable using books to make art. They already are art. I come from book people. However, I had my old copy of "The True and the Questions", which was created as a journal to be written in and used by the owner of the book. Years ago, when I purchased this book, I intended to use it a lot. But, I had only written on a few of the pages, using Sabrina's prompts and there it sat on my shelf. I figured this was a good use of the pages. They made really cute cats!
The page above is one of the pages I did write on. I've always loved both string cheese and "The Important Book". It lends itself to creative writing by children and adults too!
The view from the dog park was wild and scented. We wished we could be down there. But the only road was an access road, not for public use. I have to say that I've never been to a dog park, so it was interesting to see. It took me a minute to realize why the fence had little plastic bags hanging on it. haha There were just a few umbrellas for shade, lots of benches and some bowls and spigots for water for the dogs. It looks like it would be very hot in the summer. Even on this day it was again 79 degrees.
I even made a few paper dogs, but forgot to take photos. I used this video short: How to Make a Dog...
Hi, Nancy. This post is just full of reasons to smile! 😊 I'm looking forward to the "how to" links; they look so fun. The pockets are terrific! Hmmm . . . 79 degrees? We had frost this morning but the sun is warm this afternoon. I'm working in the garden. ❣️
Stephanie~ They are and so easy too! Oh, I'm glad you could get out this afternoon. I bet I'll be whining in the summer when it is 115° or something. haha
wow, I love these paper critters! they are so full of joy and had me smiling all through the post 😍 also love the pencil tales this post has really lifted my spirits huge THANK YOU p.s. have caught up on many of your previous posts: the Park hiking looks like a lot of fun, plus the natural landscape in your neck of the woods is stunning
Fun is just the RX these days and I received my "dose" via the mail from Nancy. Out of an envelope tumbled paper birds, a cat, green paint cards, shiny green paper and a green star. She knows me well as green is my color. Before I knew it, I had created a little vertical wall collage using all of these fun gifts and it now is on the wall next to my desk. I added words that matter to me, cut from one of my New Mexico magazines; these words Friend, Love, Tell your story, Renewal and Search for Meaning. Since I live in New Mexico, I added a small magazine cutout of a lovely Native American woman, head turned toward the sky filled with birds, plus a cut out of a red chili ristra and finishing with a stylized black and white sign with the words New Mexico.l During those moments of play, I relaxed, suspended my political angst, and thought of how good it is to have friends to play with! Thank you Nancy.
My cats and birds were a delight to both Don and I and our grandgirls Parker and Ellis. Now that you have posted the videos, I'm looking forward to having them make their own. Thank you sending a ray of sunshine to brighten these metaphorically dark days.
I enjoyed getting your pockets in the mail. Thank you! I need to fold some myself using old calendars that I hate to throw away - the colors and photos are so beautiful.
Saskia~ Aren't they?!! I hope you can make a few too. I wanted to send to my friends out of the country too, but postage & not being sure they'd arrived stopped me. The videos are my solution to that. The parks have been so interesting. I'm glad you are here on the trail 🙂
Marti~ I'm so glad my idea of sharing 'fun' has been so well received! You had your usual creative way of interacting with the gift! Thank you for sharing back, letting us know what you did.
Catherine~ Have fun with it! I used the January 2026 photo page of my calendar to make another Cat Pocket and a bunch of birds! The thin paper worked great.
14 comments:
Hi, Nancy. This post is just full of reasons to smile! 😊 I'm looking forward to the "how to" links; they look so fun. The pockets are terrific! Hmmm . . . 79 degrees? We had frost this morning but the sun is warm this afternoon. I'm working in the garden. ❣️
Stephanie~ They are and so easy too! Oh, I'm glad you could get out this afternoon. I bet I'll be whining in the summer when it is 115° or something. haha
just give a smile
Maria~ Smiles are such a nice gift! 🙂
wow, I love these paper critters! they are so full of joy and had me smiling all through the post 😍 also love the pencil tales
this post has really lifted my spirits
huge THANK YOU
p.s. have caught up on many of your previous posts: the Park hiking looks like a lot of fun, plus the natural landscape in your neck of the woods is stunning
Fun is just the RX these days and I received my "dose" via the mail from Nancy. Out of an envelope tumbled paper birds, a cat, green paint cards, shiny green paper and a green star. She knows me well as green is my color. Before I knew it, I had created a little vertical wall collage using all of these fun gifts and it now is on the wall next to my desk. I added words that matter to me, cut from one of my New Mexico magazines; these words Friend, Love, Tell your story, Renewal and Search for Meaning. Since I live in New Mexico, I added a small magazine cutout of a lovely Native American woman, head turned toward the sky filled with birds, plus a cut out of a red chili ristra and finishing with a stylized black and white sign with the words New Mexico.l During those moments of play, I relaxed, suspended my political angst, and thought of how good it is to have friends to play with! Thank you Nancy.
Forgot to add that one of the most important words that I put on my Nancy wall collage was the word Dance, my best mood up-lifter and stress release!
My cats and birds were a delight to both Don and I and our grandgirls Parker and Ellis. Now that you have posted the videos, I'm looking forward to having them make their own. Thank you sending a ray of sunshine to brighten these metaphorically dark days.
I enjoyed getting your pockets in the mail. Thank you! I need to fold some myself using old calendars that I hate to throw away - the colors and photos are so beautiful.
Saskia~ Aren't they?!! I hope you can make a few too. I wanted to send to my friends out of the country too, but postage & not being sure they'd arrived stopped me. The videos are my solution to that. The parks have been so interesting. I'm glad you are here on the trail 🙂
Marti~ I'm so glad my idea of sharing 'fun' has been so well received! You had your usual creative way of interacting with the gift! Thank you for sharing back, letting us know what you did.
Marti~ Yep, you can't forget dance!! 😉
Liz~ Have fun with the grandgirls!! Any kind of ray of sunshine is welcome right now, yes?
Catherine~ Have fun with it! I used the January 2026 photo page of my calendar to make another Cat Pocket and a bunch of birds! The thin paper worked great.
Post a Comment