Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Bits-N-Pieces

Seems like all I have time and focus for is bits-n-pieces
The in betweens of the day
Captured in a digital freeze frame
To reflect upon, make sense of, inspire recollection
Moment by moment
Collecting a lifetime

From this old shirt, delicate collar removed - feather planned
To this old dye pot - forgotten about in the sun...water added and forgotten about again
To deep color from the purple onion skin - do you see the heart?
To color fading in the sun - do you see the skull?  Cool!
To this tiny guy who grows so slowly!  It's been hanging out on the same two sunflowers for weeks.

To the little caterpillar who is still resting and ever-so-slowly changing

And to feather ideas that have been jotted down along the way

Looking at this last photo, I must explain...I have not gotten much stitching done recently so, I decided to challenge myself with a new thought.  The above sketch book page is an accumulation of feather ideas which was started back in August.   So far I've only done the Feather Finds the Sun.  This is typical of my creative self...more ideas = less completion!   Normally I would hang on to these ideas as Mine.  But today I am putting them out there to show/share instead.  If you have the desire to stitch one of these feathers, great!  It would be interesting to see how different folks stitch up the same concept.   I would rather see the feathers fly to Jude's Magic Feather Project...to the children, than these ideas sit untouched.  Let them be feathers to be touched instead.  This is an exercise in a different kind of giving, sharing, releasing.
Jude's project is so worthwhile.  At this time there are 282 feathers posted!!!  But she does have a goal of 1000.  So if you haven't yet stitched a feather...go ahead give it a try!
------ PLEASE NOTE------
  I am not under the illusion that these ideas are so spectacular...that I've shared a great prize here!  It's more of a personal/public exercise!

Lastly, today, thanks to Gretchen Rubin I was touched when I viewed these white flags, which then led me to this exhibit.  Enjoy!
Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2011


19 comments:

Jeannie said...

There is so much beauty in this post - your necklace, the shirt color, the beautiful fabrics. I love the heart that appeared and the skull. The flag project is wonderful. And your sketchbook feather drawings are superb! Wishing you a relaxing and beautiful weekend.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

the little slow growing guy has
Magic Thread legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy said...

Jeannie- Thank you for stopping by. I made that necklace (with the purchased shell centerpiece) years ago and wear it almost everyday! Weren't those flags breathtaking?! You have a great weekend too.

Grace- I know, huh!!!!! I'd love to know what this guy is, besides stripey!! Ha!

deanna7trees said...

love the heart and the sharing of ideas. think your stripey legged bug is an 'assassin bug'. if you google it there are lots of pictures of different types.

Nancy said...

Deanna- I looked the assassin bug up and the ones I found did not look like this guy, in real life. I couldn't find any that resembled! thanks for the tip, I'll keep investigating as I am curious. It doesn't seem to feed in the sunflowers, no wings and really long antenna...Mmmm...

deanna7trees said...

this is the one I saw that I thought looked liked your bug but it does have wings so I guess not...
http://www.warpedphotosblog.com/milkweed-assassin-bug

Nancy said...

Deanna- I can see the legs look similar though. I did a search and did not find one the same as this one. Wondering...

deanna7trees said...

Nancy, I also read that juvenile bugs sometimes appear without wings and somewhat different than the adult so maybe this bug is not fully matured and still needs watching.

Nancy said...

OK then! Believe me, I'm watching :)

woman with wings said...

Nancy, your bits 'n pieces made a fine post! Fun to see what you're up to -- I'm very interested in your top and how that evolves -- now that I'm reading India's new book, I'm rethinking my clothes, too. The dyeing is luscious and I lovelovelove the sharing of feather ideas. xo

Nancy said...

Peggy- I am not sure What to do with this shirt! I had originally planned to cut up the t-shirt fabric to use elsewhere, since I had taken the pretty collar off. It dyed so cool, but a lot of it faded in the sun already. It still has not been washed so it smells like onions and rosemary! Ha! I would fix up the neckline but it doesn't fit since I last wore it when I was about 20 years old!!! I did try it on one last time though! Ahhhh! So, here it sits, while I decide :)

handstories said...

the heart feather is my favorite & i do like the faded color.

Nancy said...

Cindy- I unearthed some fabric that I ripped into feather squares on the spot! That uninvited rat has caused a lot of deep cleaning around here!
I like the fade well enough too, but I have to say the just out of the pot wet fabric was dramatic...with a big exclamation point! LoL
Whatever is good enough!

Tammy said...

wow ... i just love the purple onion skins color. I have been saving the yellow onion skins or vadalia onion skins cause I don't usually buy the purple onions but I sure do love the color it gave you and a saw the heart and the skull. And ofcourse I LOVE the bugs .. we have similar interests in bugs and nature!!! And how sweet to offer the ideas for your feathers .. i love your ideas!!! I have a feather started ... just much to do .. we have more in common then I knew!!! ha .. :)

Nancy said...

I love the flavor of purple onions, which works because I love the dye color too! :)
Well then, it does seem as if we have a lot in common!

jude said...

smiling

Nancy said...

Thanks for that Jude, a smile is always good! :)

twhich said...

thought the shell in your necklace was La Virgen... maybe added to the SEEing of the heart and skull???
forgotten dye pot, unidentified things... the same's going on over here! hmmm...

Nancy said...

Amazing what we can see if we relax AND look!