Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Relative Size

Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2011

As I go for a neighborhood walk
or sit on the patio to stitch in the cool breeze of the day's end
My eyes search for the enormous pine 3 houses away
It's easy to see, it dwarfs the two-story houses, cars
and ancient oaks that line the street
I admire the strength and longevity it represents
Something so big can be empowering
It's safe to say, I'm infatuated with this quiet old giant
Some days though all of this tree's bigness
just succeeds in making me feel small

5 comments:

Suzanna said...

It's an extraordinary tree...I love how straight it stands and yet is reaching out to the side...a dancer making a welcoming and protective gesture...

Nancy said...

Hi Suzanna...thanks for coming by. I think that is one of the things I love about this tree - its straightness! So tall and proud looking!

Drucilla Pettibone said...

an incredible tree! i would never have known it was a pine. the leaves look kind of like clouds from back here. i'd love to look out my window at that giant. i'd feel small too, but also safe.

handstories said...

wonderful. it looks like a maxfield parrish painting. there's an old walnut up across the street that i love. though it's startling inside the house below it when it drops it's nuts from so high onto the roof.

Nancy said...

Dru- I have to walk up a couple houses to see this beauty. I guess safe is relative too. Years ago, I had a huge (probably 14in across) pine branch fall on my house in the middle of the night - right above my bedroom! I found it in the morning...so safe, not so much!!! lol
Cindy- I have a walnut right outside my front door on the neighbors side of the wall. Talk about loud, imagine driving over those walnuts...POP POP POP!!! But I do want to try dying with them :)