Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

First Day

Today is the first day of the Magic Diaries class over at Jude Hill's Spirit Cloth blog.  Everyone has been anxiously waiting for this day.  My fellow stitchers have been preparing for this day, each in her/his own way.  The most most 'vocal' has certainly been Grace over at windthread, where she has prepared fabric and looked at placement, color, shape and theme in a variety of configurations - thoughtfully considering Jude's many past lessons.  Others have designated certain 'projects' to be worked on during this time.  Still others have been waiting for the class to start to get going or to be inspired or to just ride along for the observational learning and inspiration of it all.
I have had a vague ideas floating about in my head.  I have certain colors that always call to me.  I am drawn towards woodsy colors...earth & flower colors, as I think of them.  
I have the experimental dyeing that I've been doing.  
I even wrapped a couple of trees to let Mother Nature in on the fun!    

As I've been cleaning my studio, I have been pulling out things that seem to fit in with the feeling of all of this.  I want to do some planning along with more than some discovering along the way.  Something else quite important to me right now, is to only work with materials I have on hand (except possibly thread).  I also have made a decision about the dyeing part (for now... Haaha).  I am going to focus my efforts on only the most simple methods and materials.  I have India's beautiful book, which I have not had time to devour properly.  Oh my it is just so gorgeous!  
So, I am going to stick to things like tea, onion skins, red rock, and rust for now.  I feel myself getting too distracted and I want to be proactive about changing that.  I am also planning on using my ugly stuff!!!  My thought is: if I dye something and it doesn't look so hot...who is to say it won't look just fine cut up and woven and stitched upon?!  Exactly.
Like I said, I will be using materials on hand!  Which means mostly cottons, with a few other things tossed in.  That's what I've got!  


I hung up all these pieces from my growing pile and took a look and made my first Magic discovery!  I could not get my little heart piece out of my head.  It already holds a lot of meaning for me.  I sit and look at it and move the last few hearts around and let the ideas gel some more.  All this while, it has been telling me that it belonged here on this new cloth.  Somehow it needs to fit in on this Big Cloth.  And this is true...I am not done holding it near yet.  I have not been sure where or how...but, so far I have most often seen it in the middle.  Anyway I then pulled out the old fabrics from a project never started...
the ones I'd had in my mind to use...
well Low & Behold --- They are the same colors as my heart piece!  
The greens, the purples, ...it all fit!  
I hung them up to see/feel them working together.  Yes...this seems right so far.  I did not really intend to do a Dark and Light thing while pinning them.  This is a first hanging, just to see what I've got.  I'm sure there will be plenty of movement in the coming months. 
So, as you look at the photos below, let's play a little "I Spy" game...

So far...

I spy 2 failed flip and stitch
and one very old handkerchief
I spy acorns three
and light & dark leaves from a tree
I spy stars in the night
and little holes to let in light
I spy 2 things that fly
and two skins that may slither by





Among these fabrics are more special treasures, 
I must say...
but let's discover those along the way!


                                             I'm thinking about starting with some cloth weaving and 9 patch....




But first I'm going to 
sit a while 
and look at this 
beautiful display...
Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2011

23 comments:

Jeannie said...

You have gathered some beautiful cloths together. I loved the I spy game. Have a wonderful weekend.

deanna7trees said...

this is the hardest part for me--getting started and then getting stuck someplace. you've chosen some lovely fabrics that seem to play well together. this will be fun.

jude said...

i think it's nice that we have time to just start slowly.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

love them, just love them in the
light like this...

talulahlynn said...

Lovely fabric and so nice with the sun shining through. Can't wait to see what you make of these.

Vicky~ stichr ~ said...

i love this design 'wall'. i think you have a grand start here!

Nancy said...

Jeannie- Yes the way a teacher's mind works! Ha!
Deanna- Yes me too. Unlike many others here, I do not have a lot of small pieces made and ready to be used in something. In a way that is nice because I can do Whatever!!! But, I also must avoid the 'blank canvas' feeling and the fear of doing it 'wrong' if that makes sense. I've never worked like this before.
Jude- I was thinking the same thing...give me some time to figure things out!
Grace- It was fun to do a 'design wall' (never done that) and in such sunlight! Ahhh...
Jenni Lynn- Thank you. It's amazing what sunlight can do!
Vicky- Yes I have a more conventional 'wall' I could have used...but oh that sunlight!

Ruby Slippers said...

This is so interesting to see the process you are going through. The record you have kept is truly the beginning of a Magic Diary of the cloth you are creating.

Debi From the Pacific Northwest said...

Lovely, Lovely.... And I love your poetry! Yes, I've been playing with fabric and layout today also. Maybe some pictures tomorrow if I still like what I pinned today.

;-) debi

nandas said...

oh i think you have the beginnings of a great piece... i bet that bear will show up again...is he a talisman of yours... some special connection to bears? just keep going!

Nancy said...

Ruby - This is already feeling heart-full! I may journal some of this too, but this is a good record and from the very beginning too.

Debi- Thank you for the compliment on my words as well. I've really wanted to begin writing again...or maybe I should say more. I'd like to see your pictures!

Drucilla Pettibone said...

i love seeing this start to your cloth!

Nancy said...

Nandas (Nance) - The bear represents an idea for me, but as far as that particular bear...she just jumped out of a collection of stuff back in the Whispering Hearts class. She is ending up to be an eye catcher though! I also feel a special connection to turtles (lots of turtle talk over at MD!!! HAHA) and birds of prey. I'd really like to make a 'beast' of my own, but I've yet to take that class! HA!
Thanks to you and Dru for stopping by with kind words for me.

Tammy said...

Nancy I didnt know you had such a special connection to turtles. I buried the little guy today. I wasnt' what I wanted to do but it needed to be done. I put him under the beautiful tree that is in my front yard. I often sit on my front porch and look out so I will be able to think of him every day. It was so upsetting yesterday to see that...I took a photo of his pattern on his under belly .. I'm thinking of using it somewhere in the stitching.. not sure just yet. Love your ideas and how things have worked for you .. i am like you and have to let things sit in front for a while. I generally follow my feelings. Take care.. so happy to be stitching.. sorry if I haven't connected all the whos who dots just yet. I will ..:)

Tammy said...

Now I remember .. you recommended the book .. I almost bought the one on Amazon.. but I will wait ..I will keep my eye out for it though. Thanks for sharing that!

AKW said...

Well, I totally forgot I have this coming to my Google Reader. Happily, I remembered today and had the pleasure of reading your lovely words and looking at your beautiful photos of your artistic creations. One word: artist. Think about it.
xoxo

Nancy said...

Tammy- Yeah, that book kinda started my turtle thing! I am still connecting the who's who dots! There are so many of us! I counted 75 in SEW (not counting Jude!) and 36 in MD! Sheesh...how does Jude keep it all straight?! I bounce around to everyone's blog so I can try to cement it in the ol' brain!!!
That is part of the reason I answer back by using everyone's name!
I was in Joshua Tree recently and wanted so badly to see a desert tortoise! I will watch for your turtle patterns! Oh...and I have a turtle idea brewing for my first 'beast'!!!

AKW- I have certainly been enjoying this time! Art making is good for the mind, body and soul (heart too!). Thanks for stopping by and for the comment!

Suzanna said...

Nancy, thanks for visiting my blog...I definitely recommend using old bathrobes for new projects! And the crow and finch stories...I've been trying slowly to learn to recognize birds by their sounds...crows are easy, although now I realize they have a huge vocabulary...I can also kind of recognize the song of the house finch, but partly because it visits the tree out front at a particular time of day...it's very challenging. I love the fabrics you're contemplating for the Magic Diaries!

Nancy said...

Suzanna-thanks for stopping by over here too! The hawk calls are the ones that freeze me in my tracks every time. Love that sound :)

Clare Wassermann said...

Hi Nancy - thank you for your comment on my photography - I can't find your email but the collage you mentioned was done in Picasa which is a free photo editing service! Love your blog! Good luck with the magic - envy envy!!

Nancy said...

Thanks Clare!

cindy said...

fun to see the preparing & playing

Nancy said...

Thanks Cindy! I put the photo of the whole 'wall' as my desktop so now when I turn on/off my computer, it is the first/last thing I see! So fun & keeps the thoughts going!