Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Books

Packing books at my sister's house
many catch my eye
books about life
books that tell a story
books about books, language, quotes or words
poetry and the sharing of the love of books with children
I borrow a bagful for further inspection...

These are just a few...

edited by F. Lanier Graham

This one looks fun to check out (look at the Amazon pages for both the 1975 & 1979 versions).  I thought many of you may get be interested.  Just the drawings, artwork and charts caught my eye!  And this quote gave me something to think on:
"I understand how scarlet can differ from crimson because I know that the smell of an orange is not the smell of a grapefruit.  I can also conceive that colors have shades and guess what shades are.  In smell and taste there are varieties not broad enough to be fundamental; so I call them shades...The force of association drives me to say that white is exalted and pure, green is exuberant, red suggests love or shame or strength.  Without the color or its equivalent, life to me would be dark, barren, a vast blackness.
    Thus through an inner law of completeness my thoughts are not permitted to remain colorless.  It strains my mind to separate colors and sound from objects.  Since my education began I have always had things described to me with their colors and sounds, by one with keen senses and a fine feeling for the significant.  Therefore, I habitually think of things as colored and resonant.  Habit accounts for part.  The soul sense accounts for another part.  The brain with its five-sensed construction asserts its right and accounts for the rest.  Inclusive of all, the unity of the world demands that color be kept in it whether or not I have cognizance of it or not.  Rather than be shut out, I take part in it by discussing it, happy in the happiness of those near to me who gaze at the lovely hues of the sunset or the rainbow.
-Helen Keller

Spring in February 2012
Last night I started reading The Color of Water, which I think I will enjoy.  I think next I will read my mom's original copy of Anne Frank The Diary of a Young Girl.  I wonder, what was like to read this book at its first (American, in this case) printing in 1952.  At the time of purchase, my mother would have been a young English teacher of 24 years of age.  She had been married only two years.  And she lived through this time, this war.  In fact Anne Frank was only one year younger than my mom, so reading the book must have been something, as she could relate to Anne as her contemporary.   I'm sure, although she was safe in America, that she also related as a Jew.

Note my mother's signature in the upper left corner.
"I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been bale to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me."
-Anne Frank

I'll let you know if I find any other treasures in the books I brought home.  But, don't hold your breath, as I'm sure this will take me some time!!!
Thanks for stopping by pomegranate trail everyone...have a nice week!

   All photos by Nancy A. Erisman ©2012

9 comments:

Ms. ∆×∆p×≥h/4π said...

I read Anne Frank in my twenties too. It moved me deep. And oh that Helen Keller--I still have a tiny volume called "my religion" I sometimes reference. To see without eyes is true vision. Looks like you have gleaned some true treasures. I also have an early daffodil in the church garden, a flower too! Still waiting for Winter here.

jude said...

great finds, the rainbow book looks intersting....

jenclair said...

Having lived through the war years and being Jewish...then reading about this courageous girl who would have been about the same age must have had a huge impact.

The Diary has an impact on everyone, but those who were confronted with the results of such a recent event--I can't imagine.

woman with wings said...

Nancy, I love book posts, thanks for this. I'd like to reread Anne Frank, too. Just finished the Madonnas of Leningrad from the Russian perspective during those years. What we do to each other on this planet...I can't even fathom how it must've felt to read Anne Frank when it first came out.

The Rainbow Book looks so familiar to me. I don't own it, but feel like I've seen it...

deanna7trees said...

i, too, read Anne Frank several times at a young age. i remember feeling all twisted inside.

handstories said...

going to go see if the library has the rainbow book. i have my old high school copy of "anne". i played her in the play my senior yr. & had such an impact on me.

Nancy said...

Michelle- "To see without eyes is true vision." ...couldn't say it better!

Jude- It is! Trying to figure out how I can show everyone!

Jenclair- I agree, how could one Not be impacted?!

Peggy- I'm glad you enjoy the book posts! I seem to all about books recently :)

Deanna- "twisted"...good way to describe it.

Cindy- I bet playing her was very powerful.

saskia said...

Thank you for this post Nancy, I read Anne Frank's Diary many years ago, as a young Dutch girl. I did not experience the second WW myself, however my parents did spend part of their youth in such a scary time; I have forgotten a lot about the book, but what I remember is Anne's enormous appetite for life, and her sense of humour! and I remember how surprised I was by this whilst reading the book. I haven't heard of the other book, but all of a sudden images returned to me from the film about Helen Kellers life I must have seen in those same teenage years, it made a huge impression on me as I realised intelligence and human feeling can be hidden, when a person cannot express him/herself in a conventional way, a important lesson for me.

Nancy said...

Saskia- You're welcome! My son spent a college year studying in Amsterdam and went to the Anne Frank Museum.
http://www.annefrank.org/
I've explored that online, but I think being there in person would be terribly hard.
I saw a dramatic movie about Helen Keller when I was young and it had a big impact too. Especially since my best friend's parents & sisters were deaf.
Thanks for stopping by.