Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

If You Find a Rock



      


Created over a year ago, I finally am posting my reading of this great children's (or anyone's) book!
This is what happens when you lay around sick for the better part of a week.
You get bored.
You try to get caught up.
You decide that 'good enough' is really good enough (I wasn't satisfied with this reading at the time I recorded it).

Wishing Rock ~ Emma Wood State Park

Anyway, I have a long history with this book.  I found it in the early 2000's at a conference for Early Childhood Professionals.  In the basement, downstairs in the vendor area, I stood digging through unorganized bins of books.  Suddenly, my eyes feel upon this cover....
If You Find a Rock.  As I stood there reading, I knew a treasure had been unearthed!  The bustling world around me faded away as I let the lyrical prose carry me away...
to my childhood...
to my own children...
to the children in my different classrooms...
and of course, to my mom who was a children's bookseller at the time.

I made a quick purchase, of course!




Over the many years since, I have used this book in my own classrooms and gifted it to others.  It has been the foundation for many lovely learning experiences with children aged 3 years to 5th & 6th grade.


My mom sold it like crazy at the children's bookstore where she worked.  Every customer that held it in their hands, ended up making the purchase.  My mom sold more copies of this book than anyone.  She sold out the publisher!  I always got a kick out of that!
All because I stumbled on this treasure.
All because I noticed and shared.

I love when that happens.
I love the bond we held together over this book.

Because of this book, I've been inspired to give many 'wishing rocks' to kindred souls.


I hope you've enjoyed it too.

Special thanks to Jenclair of Bayou Quilts for her recent posts of weaving and rock work (great link included), which inspired me to finally pull this post together!

Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2013

18 comments:

jenclair said...

:) I bet your children and your students began bringing you rocks! I love the idea of naming your rocks; the grands love picking up and saving rocks, and now I can give them more to think about.

Nancy said...

Jenclair~ The naming of them got me too :) I've collected...and I've even returned to the sea rocks that no longer spoke to me! Thanks again for inspiring this post.

saskia said...

oh another book I have got to read! thanks Nancy for this wonderfully inspiring post

Nancy said...

Saskia~ Glad you felt inspired :) This book is a treasure for sure!

jude said...

oh just loved this post!

Nancy said...

Jude~ Thank you, that makes me happy :)

handstories said...

just wonderful. one of my favorite books is Everybody Needs a Rock by Byrd Baylor. I've ordered yours up from the library to enjoy some more- thank you.

Nancy said...

Cindy~ Yes, that is a good one too. I remembering you mentioning your love it it in the past. Please tell me how you like this one!

Ms. said...

I'm so glad Jude pointed to this post today. I might have missed it, and it's wonderful.

Nancy said...

Michelle~ Thank you for your kindness and letting me know about Jude's link...I would have missed that!

Minka said...

Wonderful! Thank you!

Nancy said...

Minka~ You are most welcome!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Nancy. I love this post and I'm going to try to get the book. This summer I tried to get my granddaughters interested in helping me collect rocks for the garden from our fields. At first they scoffed ("oh, they're just rocks"), then I started pointing out the interesting ones I found and how they were probably from a Roman house that we think was in a field behind our property. Such excitement!
best, nadia

Nancy said...

Nadia~ Oh if your stones could talk! Isn't it funny how perspective changes everything!?

layers said...

I have this children's book too.. I love it. I have always collected rocks and have a wonderful collection. I also have beach rocks from below my cliff... you have some beautiful images here.

Nancy said...

Layers~ Isn't it a great book?!! Thank you for having a look over here. I'm glad you've enjoyed the images :)

Arzigogolare said...

Thank you for visiting my blog & pointing me this post, with your lovely reading of such a wonderful story (both the book itself & the tale of your mother selling it at her bookshop). It is pretty amazing how certain books have such power over us, sending ripples of positive energy far & wide.
I'm looking forward to exploring more of your blog...

Nancy said...

Arzigogolare~ Thanks for stopping by and leaving your kind comment. This book has been a treasure for me! It makes me happy that you've enjoyed it as well.