Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Hope

Photo by Nancy A. Erisman ©2012


 In a long abandoned oil refinery, amongst the trash and rusty bits or broken glass...where the remnants of old toys and chairs are strewn about...there was a word.

Just one word, spray-painted on a broken wall.
Almost graffiti, if you saw the paint without looking for the meaning.

When I first saw it, I pondered who could have left 'hope' behind?  
I was perplexed at the meaning as related to this location.
Shall we keep 'hope' alive, even in a place as desolate as this one?  
Is that what someone was trying to communicate?

So I kept this word, I held it gently as I continued exploring.
There were wild flowers and native plants coming up in the most unlikely places.  
Some were straggly, yet some were thriving.  While there were tiny bones to be found, there were also small mammals skittering for cover at the sound of our footsteps.
There were birds singing or calling to one another.  
Insects meandering.  Lizards doing push-ups.
There were butterflies.

So many signs of Hope, if you look through a lens that shines the light of beauty.

Today was a day to dust off that lens, to put on the rose colored glasses.  
Today we lost more trees.  The landlord had 5 elm trees on the property line and one little grapefruit tree removed.
If I could upload pictures, I would show you.
Just imagine a big open space and dirt and you've got my backyard.

I noticed the hummingbirds were not affected.  They've been busy all day and are bedded down, somewhere, for the night.

And I think of Joe as I now live in my own 'big sky country'!

I project what future sunsets may look like on the nights where blue runs into pink and explodes into a fiery red.
Tonight the bats are extra active, perhaps stirred up by change.

The forecast for tomorrow is HOT.  Again.
Now that I have my own desert, maybe I should build a raft like Grace!

For more beauty and 'hope'...
go visit Mo who has been creating feathered poetic beauty.



16 comments:

Ms. said...

ruminations on hope here very hope full...so too the first day of spring link dear Mo...and Monatana Joe is a treasure (thanks :-)

jenclair said...

You can find hope in strange and unexpected places. I love this post, Nancy!

deanna7trees said...

“Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.”
― Emily Dickinson

Nancy said...

Michelle~ You are most welcome :)

Jenclair~ Yes. if you're looking! Glad you liked it.

Deanna~ Yes, the poem Mo has been working with. Beautiful.

montana joe said...

the dalai lama once observed: "i find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. i do not judge the universe."

i am reminded of these wisdom filled words as i read this post. thank you so much, nancy, for this gentle reminder. like this wisdom, your soft glow is a beacon are we are blessed by its brilliance!

namaste'
joe

p.s. gracious thanks for your kind remembrance

Mo Crow said...

ah I like this idea of another raft shining more Hope from out in the desert Nancy but why did your landlord knock down those trees ? & thanks for sharing the link to the latest "thing with feathers" it's been a wild week!

Nancy said...

Joe~ This is a lovely quote. Sometimes one needs to concentrate to see a brighter side :) I work to stay positive.
Thank You for your kind words Joe.

Mo~ Sail away, eh?!! I believe it was a caretaking issue. Hang on tight to your wild weeks, then soar!!

saskia said...

lovely, poetic post

Nancy said...

Saskia~ Thank you :)

Peggy said...

Wonderful, heartful, hopeful. I loved this post. Like our mothers used to say -- the yard has lots of "potential" now. ("but you have so much potential" -- I can still hear it!) Maybe a sunflower grove? xo

Nancy said...

My mom had a Peanuts picture in her office that said, "There's no heavier burden than a great potential". I took that more to heart than I should have!

deemallon said...

Losing mature trees is an event that inspires mourning... sorry to hear. And yet, there's 'hope'.

I'm reminded of an artist who painted a series of urban walls with chalkboard paint and posed the question, what do you want to do before you die? and passersby answered... it was cool. If I can find the link, I'll come back.

handstories said...

oh, the trees! thank goodness for your hope.

Nancy said...

Dee~ I agree, a big loss. I'd love to see the chalkboard piece. In my last classroom, I used to put open-ended questions on the white board for the parents & classroom staff. it was so fun to read the responses :)

Cindy~ I've been trying :}

deemallon said...

I found the link -- I think you'll see why the 'hope' graffiti made me think of it...

http://candychang.com/before-i-die-in-nola/

Nancy said...

Dee~ Funny, I remember reading about this a long while back! Such a great idea (as are her many other community projects!)
The tree one really touched home for me!!
http://candychang.com/nice-place-for-a-tree/
Thanks for sharing that here Dee :)