Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

These Days


Every day this week was over 100 degrees.  This is late afternoon, starting to cool down.
I've been working on a Christmas stocking.  Seems kind of crazy in this heat wave!  This one is for a young man soon to be married.  Years ago I made the young bride-to-be and her family each a stocking.  She was just a girl then.  It's hard to believe she is so grown!  I used to make these stockings a lot back then, but that is a story for another day.
 

The sun sure catches this sap on the apricot tree.  It glistens amber in the mid-day heat.
 

Today, over at Jude's she had a little game looking for rainbows, space or order...looking.
Today, upon walking into a friend's home, I spied this coaster made by a grandchild.  It made me think how in all my years with young children, their use of rainbows in their art has been universal.  What is it about these colors, in specific order and shape that pulls children in time after time?  What is that pulls adults towards this symbol?  What do you think?


Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2012

7 comments:

Sandy said...

I would LOVE to hear about your stockings......

deanna7trees said...

105 here yesterday so i sympathize. we teach children about the color spectrum and life is so much about color and how it affects our moods.

Velma said...

i love that sap.

sewing susan said...

Rainbows have a magical quality. They seem to just suddenly appear and in them they contain all the colors seen and unseen. Children by their innocent nature love all things magical.

What a lovely jester making a Christmas sock for the young man joining the family. It will make him feel welcomed. I would love to see it.

Nancy said...

Sandy~ I'll do a post when I finish this one!

Deanna~ I was thinking of you :)
Yes, that is so...I wonder how many color/mood terms we could think of (I've got the blues...)

Velma~ Yes, it surprised me one morning :)

Susan~ Yes, these were my thoughts too, that magical quality :)

jude said...

i think it is the natural order....

Nancy said...

Jude~ Yes, I'm sure that plays a part.