Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

What "Open" Looks Like


I've been meaning to post.
Something.
I could share 100 photographs from this month of January.
But words and stitches haven't come forward.

After the fullness of the December stitching, I've felt tapped out of inspiration.
Oh well.  It will cycle around again.

~click on photographs to enlarge~

Anyway, in the first days of 2015, this is what came to me as I reflected on open.

 This seed pod, picked up on a work walk, seemed to tell me: When you are open, you have an opportunity to spread seeds, to have them grow.  Or maybe you need to remain open to receive the seeds from others.  At any rate, openness seems to be required for growth to take place.









Another seed pod, holding only one seed.
Open and seeds seem to go together.



I will continue to ponder open.

I received this gift of fabric from my son's fiance (AKA the girl).
I think she was Right on the Money with her choices for me!
Moons...Houses...Leaves...


I came across this old notebook from my college days.
Looking through it was a riot.
It was such a simpler time.
I did well in the course, yet this final notebook looks like a 5th graders!!

Here are a few pages.  Pretty funny!

Puppet hands
My ideas
One of my puppet ideas, a John Denver puppet, complete with guitar!

These are the two of the book reports I did.
Very succinct.  Very.



I got a kick out of her comments.
She was a fun instructor, able to share her love of...her passion for puppets.
After looking through this, I realized that I have for years used some of the techniques I learned in this course while doing group times with young children.

That's almost it for tonight.
I will try to post more of the Long Beach & the Aquarium there and hike photos from today.
But for tonight, I'll share these:
Guilt

Plant Pockets

  
Today we went on a hike, to same place you first saw in August 2013.  That post is here.
We saw some of the same fallen trees, same bends in the trail.  Both a lot and nothing had changed since we were last there.  At one point J. went down the slight grade to check out the tiny stream.  He picked up a rock and tossed it up to me, saying, "Here's one for you.  You like layers."  I glanced down at the rock as it hit the dirt and thought, "No, it couldn't be."  But upon inspecting it, I confirmed that it was indeed the same "Reminiscent of Easter Island" rock from all those months ago!


What are the chances of that happening?!!!

Have a great rest of your week everyone,
Nancy








Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2015

9 comments:

yvette said...

what a reat post...reflections on open...and your mouth fell open from surprise the last sentencehihi

Liz Ackert said...

What a thoughtful gift from your future daughter-in-law and I love the found-again stone from L.
You are fortunate to have people in your life who know you so well.

handstories said...

I was wondering how you were, what you've been up to? Good open thoughts here- the seed connection. needing to be open to grow…

Ms. said...

what a satisfying post and all that openness to the past, to the present and future :-) refreshing to think about seeds....

jude said...

great post! love the pods and the old notebooks. teacher's comments always crack me up when I look back.

Nancy said...

Yvette~ I'm still surprised about that rock!!

Liz~ Very lucky indeed. I am looking forward to having another daughter :)

Cindy~ Oh Cindy, I have been thinking of you too. We'll have to catch up.

Michelle~ Yes! Past-Present-Future, yes.

Jude~ It was fun to see that old notebook, but I am ready to let it go now. I seem to find a wide variety of seed pods.

Saskia van Herwaarden said...

was positive I had posted a comment, apparently not; anyway, that pod with all those 'open mouthed' seeds, to me looks like a nest of singin'seeds and the rest of the post just gets better and better! just what we need on the cold wintry days over here, thank you Nancy for sharing the Joy

deanna7trees said...

i missed this post somehow....love the references to seeds. i just did a collage/doodle with seeds heads spreading seeds all over the page. it's that time of year when everything opens up for renewal. love those plant pockets.

Nancy said...

Saskia~ I saw that in those seeds too...a little chorus! Thank you for always being here with me.

Deanna~ These different seed pods, plus ones in the past, are fascinating to look at! I suppose anyone could plant plant pockets!!