Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

One Thought Leads to Many

Today I thought of this quote posted over at Henrietta's place,  

Wisdom

Mom always says, "never cut a knot, always untie it. If you can't figure out how to untie a knot, you'll never figure out how to solve your problems."
I was working on that old...slow going weaving in my car, on my lunch break.
It has been giving me problems as the warp threads had loosened and then knotted in the back, making it hard to weave on.
As I kept weaving, challenging myself to make it work, I began to think: What else can I do here...this is not working...I don't really like how it is looking and don't want to put in lots of my precious time only to have it fall apart in the end.
As I wove my beloved, soft brown Alpaca yarn, 
I considered just unweaving the whole thing.
But that seemed silly.  
What would I use these small pieces of yarn for if I did that?
I didn't really want to waste these fibers, especially the Alpaca and the multi-colored warp & weft yarn as I wrote about almost one year ago.

I kept turning it over and fussing with the knot, to know avail.

Finally I couldn't stand the problem solving of it anymore.

What if I just cut it and then knot the ends and finish the opposite ends.
Stop considering, stop struggling and just let it go.

If I cut it loose, it would be free to become something else.  Something else equally beautiful, just different than I had planned.

So that's just what I did.  I cut it right apart.


And I knotted it, so it wouldn't fall apart, which it hasn't so far.
The opposite ends are still on the little loom.
But, it is holding.  It is still together, even with the somewhat loose ends.

And it is still beautiful.  It is already inspiring new ideas.
I have some leather from a Pow Wow past that may make a cool back...

It may sound silly, it is only fibers aferall...
but going through this thought process and taking these steps was 
a kind of unplanned therapeutic exercise.  
It felt good.

I'm excited to see what comes next with this one.



When I got home, Dee's post was in my inbox.
It is called:

Tangled but not defeated

I think my favorite part is that we looked at our knots from completely different places, yet both came to resolutions that felt good and right to us.  Not only that, but I can see her side when she says: 
"knots can be undone".  
I can totally agree with her, even if I also say 
they can be cut and transformed from there!
Isn't it grand that there are so many ways to do things?
Isn't it wonderful to know that there are so many ways to do this thing called life?! 
* So, a big shout out to Dee for bringing this long day full circle.  This means a lot to me.
*I'd also like to give a shout out to Jude
...who showed me, by her example, that cloth and fibers 
can be manipulated quite bravely, if you want.  
* And my last shout out goes to my daughter 
who is beautiful no matter where she stands.
(((hugs)))
Nancy

Photo by Nancy A. Erisman ©2016

 

15 comments:

Ms. said...

You said it sister....and you said it so well.
Cut it loose and rejoice!

Saskia van Herwaarden said...

how brave, a firm 'snip snip' can be very rewarding, especially if the result satisfies; the colours of the yarns are lovely; I have your small woven bag hanging from the lightshade above my desk: a constant reminder of you very close to my heart & mind

Nancy said...

Michelle~ Thank you for your words my wise friend! Life's too short for such concerns.

Saskia~ Thank you for commenting here and for telling me about the little medicine bag. I am grateful to know it holds meaning for you. Big love to you friend.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

just reading this was/is very satisfying....the focus of deep attention
on these woven threads
these seemingly small "meditations" ripple out, don't they.

and that your day and Dee's danced...how great is this...
BIG love....

Nancy said...

Grace~ Yes, it was all of this...and more during a tough week :)

deemallon said...

I suppose one of the tasks of self is to recognize when to cut and when to patiently unknot. What I was struck by is what you, too, were struck by -- even though we made OPPOSITE decisions on how to handle a tangle both of us went forward with a sense of relief and rightness.

Nancy said...

Dee~ There are a lot of tangles to handle...not always the same way I'm guessing. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Mo Crow said...

love the synchronicity between you & Dee for the balancing point!

Nancy said...

Mo~ Yes! Isn't that synchronicity just the best?!!

Luna Crone said...

I don't do your Art, but don't need to, to gather Wisdom here. :-)

Sometimes, we need to keep working on an issue. When it feels right, to do so.

And sometimes, we need to cut, and begin again. When it feels right.

Our own body, will tell us, when... And which....

If we listen.

If we listen.

Thank you for the Wisdom gleaned here.

Luna Crone

Nancy said...

Luna Crone~ Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot to me. I'm glad you came by the Trail for a visit!

Morna Crites-Moore said...

"If you follow all the rules, you miss all the fun." - Katherine Hepburn

Cutting those threads - very liberating - for the piece and for you!

Remember Judith Scott ... http://judithandjoycescott.com

Nancy said...

Oh Morna! What a great quote to call up right now, and for this post! And Yes! I do remember the story of Judith Scott. A story worth revisiting. Thank you for coming to the trail and commenting as well. My heart is with you.

Deb G said...

Love this post, love the many ways we can work things out...

Nancy said...

Thanks Deb...and so true, there are many ways.