Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Singing for a Weary World

                                      
Sweet Honey In The Rock - Let There Be Peace

I remember when I was in the 6th grade, one day after school, a bunch of the 'cool' boys rampaged around the lunch area, flipping over benches while singing loudly: "All we are saying is give peace a chance!"  Over and over they sang these lyrics while being disruptive brats.  These guys were my 'friends' (whatever that means in the 6th grade).  One of them was really cute, according to most of the girls.  But all that I could think of at the time was how they totally had missed the mark.  They were not protesting anything in particular.  Most of the adults were gone for the day.  It was most likely a weak imitation of what they'd seen on the evening news.  I was disappointed.  If you're going to start a rebellion, it should at least have meaning!
It is good to have a friend along as you journey through the days

Here I am all of these years later watching protest after protest.  Seeing the injustices from every perspective.  I am a witness among thousands, dare I say millions.  And I think all of these years later and there is still so much work to do.  I feel weary from last week's events, from months (years really) of similar events.  Give peace a chance.  I am weary from difficult people and unpleasant neighbors.  Give peace a chance.  I'm completely weary of the political demise in our country.  Give peace a chance.  I'm weary of unpleasant news.  Give peace a chance.  I'm even weary from the sad predictability of natural disasters due to a world on fire.  A world on fire in so many ways.  Give peace a chance.

Jade from our beloved Big Sur
 I held on last week, through the days, with the help of good friends and special talismans and cloth.  I meditated on goodness with stitches.  I remembered the better among the hard...  the 7th of July would have been 37 years, if the love and the man hadn't died.  Give peace a chance.  The comfort cloth is coming along.  I hope to send it on to its new home soon.  Here we are at the start of a new week.  I'll smile at those who welcome it,,,but also those who relish in their closed and angry hearts or don't even know that they need calm and understanding.  That is my plan anyway.  
Give peace a chance.

Saturday Fire (much better now and we are fine, just smokey air)
 *Thank you to Michelle  for this wonderful video!

Until we meet again, "Carry on my wayward son..."
With Love,
Nancy 


Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2016
 

11 comments:

Ms. said...

Hey there Sister weary.....Peace like a river flows through the city:
https://youtu.be/bzLUjzHSed4

Velma Bolyard said...

i think you've got it right.

Nancy said...

Michelle~ Thanks again, listening now.

Velma~ what else can one do?

Debbie said...

There seem to be so many weary people in blogland and elsewhere at the moment. We are going through difficult times, a world in turmoil. Cloth helps me through these times and one can only hope that those with the power in this world will begin to see sense.

deanna7trees said...

i am at peace. i am convinced that the only peace to be found is within ones self. there has always only been small pockets of peace in various places at various times in the world. maybe the chaos is meant to teach us, if we are willing to learn. maybe we are just here to learn and what would we learn if there was only peace with no challenges. i have come to believe this as the way it is....so, i say, look for peace within yourself.

Saskia van Herwaarden said...

wise words Nancy and Deanna, comforting as well

handstories said...

I've had a long-time love for Sweet Honey in the Rock. Weary & lost, yes. It's hard to know how to be in this world sometimes. The cat weaving and jade look to be wonderful talismans to help carry one through.

Nancy said...

Debbie~ Yes, I've been stitching. I know I'm not alone.

Deanna~ Looking within is good advice. Thanks for commenting here.

Saskia~ We comfort one another. Glad you're here.

deemallon said...

we all seem to be saying different versions of the same thing, but this gives me hope and a sense of connection...

Nancy said...

Dee~ Yes, we are. I am grateful you find comfort here on the trail. (((hugs)))

Nancy said...

Hazel~ Somehow I just saw this comment! They are indeed strong talismans for me.