Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

THE BINDING IS MADE

After I completed my block for Dee's Hearts for Charleston. 
I was quickly onto the next cloth project to be donated to a special event.

My son requested I create a special binding (AKA cording or ribbon) for the upcoming handfasting ceremony at his wedding in the beautiful Adirondack's.
I did a quick Google search to learn a bit about exactly what this cording & ceremony was...
and then basically did my own thing as I knew that is what they were doing!
My impression was that this was to symbolize a coming together, a binding together as I'd seen done with the pouring of separate vessels of sand into one or the lighting of one candle from two.  At this point in time, I had no idea how unique their ceremony would be.
I just knew I was invited to be a part of it in this way and was so honored to do so!

Later when more photographs have been organized, I'll try to share a few.
For now I'll just say they were barefoot at the lake's edge and along with the handfasting,
swords were exchanged!

Gorgeous and so soft

 I began with a gift from my pal Deb over at Random Acts of Dyeness...
beautiful, super soft dyed cloth.
I knew I wanted to use some of Deb's cloth as this binding needed to drape or wrap around their wrists five times, so I wanted it to be soft and flexible.

I chose 4 of the colors she'd gifted me with to represent the four seasons.

Fall and Summer

Winter meets Spring

Spring, Summer and Winter (peeking) ~ with Earth on the back
 I interlocked the seasons.
Blue = Winter
Pinkish = Spring
Green = Summer
White with Yellow Specks = Fall

I did two similar colors of "people colors" (tan) in a running stitch all the way down the length of it...that was 6 feet long!  This symbolizes the two of them on their journey through the seasons, year after year, after year.

The backing is a beautiful rusty earth linen, bought in 2010 in Wyoming on our 'big road trip'.  It too is super soft.  It symbolizes the natural world, which is so important to them.

I used a deep red and the good old blanket stitch to wrap them in love!
Yes, again with the blanket stitch!

Two Hearts

I put two hearts on the back of winter, which if I am correct is when they began.
They are made out of the cover from my grandfather's cane.  Some of you may remember that from a long time back.

Crocheted Trim
I added some trim made by either my daddy's grandmother or great-grandmother (I can't recall).  I tea dyed it a while back.  I have a whole roll of this trim!  I wanted to add a finishing touch and a bit of weight so the binding would hang well.

Trim
Last, I added some of the some deep red to hang down in the breeze!
I had planned on adding some special family charms and trinkets, but as I mentioned in my previous post, searching for them in my mess of a studio did not reveal them.  Additionally, the special items the Bride's Mama sent me got lost in the mail, only to land on my doorstep upon my return from the East!  It seems the universe had other plans for this project.
I placed the whole long binding into a small golden box that belonged to my mother as a  child.  I included the "Marriage Box" quote I'd recently seen floating around the Internet.

Most people get married believing a myth that marriage
is beautiful box full of all the things they have longed for;
Companionship, intimacy, friendship etc.
The truth is, that marriage at the start is an empty box,
you must put something in before you can take anything out.
There is no love in marriage, love is in people,
and people put love in marriage. There is no romance in marriage,
you have to infuse it into your marriage.
A couple must learn the art, and form the habit of
giving, loving, serving, praising, of keeping the box full.
If you take out more than you put in, the box will be empty.
~Unknown


For C&C
 It was such an honor to create this cloth for the bride and groom filled with symbolism, family history and gestures of love.  Seeing it as a part of the wedding ceremony was pure pleasure.

Beginning


The binding is wrapped around their wrists
 After each wrapping...
the crowd is prompted to chant...




May you two enjoy many, many years together,
bound together in all all of the ways important to you!

Created with love and family history


With Love.
Ma


Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2015

20 comments:

deanna7trees said...

how beautiful and congrats to the bride and groom. looks like it was a beautiful and unique ceremony.

Ms. said...

"Anonymous" is full of wisdom, and your offering was just right, and very special.

Nancy said...

Deanna~ Thank you and yes, it was both of those things and so much more!

Michelle~ I thought the same thing of Anonymous! Thank you :)

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Nancy. How cool is this? What lovely memories you have created for your son--and many congratulations!

best, nadia

Nancy said...

Aw, thanks Nadia! How have you been?

Lynda Merry said...

Nancy, everything about this is so incredibly beautiful. And your telling of it is almost poetic.

Debbie said...

What a special gift, something they can keep forever, love the rings.

Els said...

Thanks Nancy for letting us share a bit in this wonderful event ;-)

All the best to the couple !!!

(LOVE that poem about the "box"!!! )

Nancy said...

Lynda~ Thank you so much. It was a beautiful evening on the lake!

Debbie~ Yes, I think they will. Her ring belonged to my grandma, so there is some family history there!

Hi Els~ You are most welcome. Thanks for peeking in! It was a wonderful event indeed.

Peggy said...

Nancy, you made them a beautiful sacred binding. What a gift! I don't have words other than I love it all, I love the stitching, I love the intentions. So cool, what a great handfasting ritual. Congrats to the whole family. xoxo

Mo Crow said...

a beautiful binding of love

Nancy said...

Peggy~ Thank you so much friend. It was a beautiful family event, only made better by the family growing larger!

Mo~ Thank you :)

wholly jeanne said...

Way to bring on the tears! This is thoughtful and tender and lastingly meaningful. I am deeply moved. x

Nancy said...

Aw thanks Jeanne! I've been told I do mushy well (wink wink). Kidding aside, it was a beautiful wedding filled with rituals and traditions meaningful to them (and all of us too of course).

jude said...

wonderful post and cloth

Nancy said...

Thanks Jude :)

deemallon said...

love this... love the idea of binding. and you did your usual magic with color and symbol!

Nancy said...

Thanks Dee, such a sweet thing to say :)

handstories said...

Nancy, this is really a wonderful beauty filled treasure you've created. I can imagine it being passed down through the generations. Just love it.

Nancy said...

Cindy~ Thank you so much. Your words mean a lot to me.