Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Ready, Set, Post





OK, so I sense all my posts will be slap-dash.  Quickies, if you will.

I'm having a slow start, which is typical for me.  I always seem to start feeling like I have No Ideas.  Then I get going.

Last night I worked the late shift (tonight too). so I didn't get home til 8PM.

But, I accomplished some things:  I found my pins, which I'd been looking for for two days!  I also cut some strips (after finding my rotary cutter) and played with layout.

After Dee's comment about the finger paint fabric, I remembered I had it in red too.  I thought that may make a good heart.  I considered heart fabrics.

I auditioned backing fabrics.

I cut the bottom off the denim shirt.

I remembered I had burlap and considered that.


Backing?

The cloth at the top is a dyed flat-fold cloth diaper.  Mmmm...
I like the words one a lot too.  Mmmm...

Hearts?

Playing
Dee's comment on the finger paint fabric got me to thinking about fingerprints, so unique...the who-nees of us.
I don't think I'll use all of the choices I've pulled out.  I didn't realize I had so many blues!!
I don't want it to get too busy.

Pins
I have had this one box of pins since 1981 when I began sewing again, or for reals.  Bought 'em in Gardnerville, NV when I made a little patchwork quilt for a friends new baby.
I love the fact that this one box has served me so well, for so long.  It's all I need.


That's it for this morning.  Off to work...
Have a good day all.
Nancy

 Photos by Nancy A. Erisman ©2015

6 comments:

Liz Ackert said...

For a "slow start" you sure have done a lot! I'm looking forward to seeing the red fingerpaint, too.

Love your pin story ... I have a box of my mom's that I treasure.

Marti said...

Nancy, nothing slap dash about what you are sharing here; so touching to see the book fabric to honor Cynthia Hurd, a lovely thought, a moving remembrance, and I will enjoy watching your cloth unfold like turning the pages in a book.

Your pin story reminded me that I keep an old tarnished silver thimble of my Mom's; if she were still alive, what a laugh it would give her to see me at times use her thimble when I stitch my dyed cloths. She who could beautifully embroider, knit and crochet,had a daughter who didn't want anything to do with cloth.

Peggy said...

Nancy, I loved seeing and reading about your process in this and the last post...the outcome will be heartfelt and meaningful. I didn't get in on this project because I learned about it too late but I'll follow you along as you make your square.

deemallon said...

the word fabric would be good for a librarian, too, wouldn't it? love to see how things are moving along!

And, I can't believe that pin box is from the 80's - makes me feel old because that box is VINTAGE, man.

Nancy said...

Liz~ Thank you. Isn't it funny the things we latch onto?! Even with all of my cleaning out, certain things still hold on tight!

Marti~ Thanks. Maybe not a laugh from your mom, but a fond smile for you doing things your way, for whatever else you do...you are a weaver of words to me!

Dee~ Pretty much everything I own is vintage!! lol

Nancy said...

Peggy~ I will be honored to have you along, in whatever way you choose.