Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Reading David Whyte and Sharing Baribie Clothes

Today I found interest in reading this Brain Pickings piece about David Whyte.
You all know how I love his words, his work.  Today what I found interesting came from these two points:
  1.  So many old and new friends alike have mentioned, fairly recently, about finding the time to do the work, self and partner aspects in their lives.
  2.  I have said over the years, probably even here, that I am 'seeking balance'.  This piece gave me a new way of thinking about that.  A way that is resonating with me.
What do you think?

And on my second thought for this post.  I've wanted to share these and finally have photographs to do so.  These were made by my Nana Nell, the mother of my birth-father.  I've had them since I was a young girl.  I think I have found a new home for them.  You know how I like to do that too!  So satisfying to pass material possessions along to others who can enjoy them!  For some reason, they make me think of Deanna, who knits and loves beautiful things.  The coat was always my favorite and only looks a bit mishapen because it has spent the last 50+ years on Barbie!!
Ken has worn his sweater all these years too, it helped hold his arm on.
Which actually is a funny (maybe in a tragic way) story.
Ken's arm used to fall off all the time as I played with him or tried to dress him.
I was not a small girl of patience.  I used to get so frustrated!
In fact one year when I was very small I put on my Hanukkah list:
New Ken arms and head
I think this is so funny and telling of who I was, how our life was.  Ken was fine, except for his dumb arm, which would not stay on and his head, which had lost much of its fuzzy hair.
Therefore, that was all I needed, the two parts that were not working.
It was also the year I asked for a:
Pebbles cradle
Again, I had a doll I adored and did not need Pebbles (from the 1960's Flintstones cartoon), just her cool cradle!
Crazy, huh? 

Anyway, please enjoy the precise, tiny, beautiful knitwear of my late grandmother.

~As always, click on photograph to enlarge~
Beautiful coat with teeny-tiny white buttons
Skirt and top.  Skirt has a tiny tie on the back.
Ken's 'tennis' sweater
Glitter dress with beaded bow
This last dress is the one I am not 100% sure she made.  The inside seams look to be professionally finished (maybe).  I know you can but those beaded items, like the bow here.  So, possibly she made the dress and added the bought bow.  I've put a word out to my sister to see if she remembers any more of the story.  I also don't remember if she has similar clothing or different ones.

Here are my vintage Barbie & Ken.  
I am hoping they will soon have a good home to go to as well.
I've had a good long turn with them and am happy to pass them along.

Barbie in her official Barbie dress, Ken in swim trunks!

It was so fun to look at them again after their long stay in an Ebs Tennis shoes box.
I am reminded how I always thought short hair, dresses and high heals = a "grown up lady" (my words as a little girl).
Of course between the decade and the fact that my Mama dressed just that way as a Jr. High school teacher, it makes perfect sense (to a child's mind).
I wear my hair long in pure rebellion!
I am also struck by their facial expressions.
The photo below looks like a mug shot!!
That or the faces of two people, long dating but with marriage issues!  ha
The Happy Couple
Have a lovely weekend all,
~Nancy




Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2015

3 comments:

deanna7trees said...

lots of angora yarn used in knitting back then. such wonderful pieces to still have. i was already 17 years old when Barbie came out so i never had a Barbie or a Ken. don't remember what was popular when i was growing up. there wasn't much money so i never really had what was popular. my mom was not a saver so i don't have anything from my childhood. nice to still have all those memories.

Ms. said...

HOW DELICIOUS to have the memories and the artifacts. The clothing is wonderful. I think your Vintage is worth a good deal of money if you ever decide to sell them. If you give them to a child, invaluable.

Nancy said...

Deanna~ "angora"...that's the type of yarn I was trying to remember the name! This was the extent of my Barbie/Ken collection. We weren't real big Barbie girls, used the narrow boxes they came in as their beds! Between my mom and I, a lot was saved!

Michelle~ I had thought of selling them, though I really don't think they are valuable as the preferred years and poor Ken is rather beat up!! I much rather pass these two, but more importantly the clothing, on to those who will appreciate it.