Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Homage to Green and Trees We've Known

Thursday night I came home to a poisoned stump where the apricot tree once stood.  While I realize that this had to be done as it stood right next to the house as a grand homestead to many termites, I can't begin to tell you the sadness I felt.
It was not a sadness for only this one tree, which over most of the last 15 years has given us the Most Excellent tasting apricots ever(we often had to fight the squirrels and birds for them), but the sadness is for the loss of yet another friend.  So many neighboring trees are now gone.
Friday morning this song came into my head.  Mostly the line about "all the leaves are brown"

                                                                                                                                                            

Being my mother's daughter, I of course hummed my own version.

"All the world is brown, the trees have gone away..."

This spurred a trip down memory lane.

*Please note: I've left the photographs smaller this time to help the page load faster (there are a lot of pictures!).  As always, click on photo to enlarge.
Circa 2000 in the front driveway
 My old neighbor had such a green thumb.  One year she casually threw sunflower seeds in the dirt, along the driveway.  It was this narrow piece of earth between asphalt and block wall, that she was able to bring to life.  It was so beautiful!  That's my Mama and sister with me.
Green world
 It was so green back then!  In the far back, there was ivy that covered the fence.  That's the little apricot tree in the right front of this photo.  That's the boy and the man after having a catch.  Some of you may remember when all the trees on the left came out.  They were Italian Cedars.

The fam at Thanksgiving
 This picture has the Cedars and some of the old neighbor's property.  The way it was.  I love the old school auto-timer quality to this photo...and the fact that my grandson is running off!
Her back property used to have fruit trees and all sorts of growth in wild abandon, along with an old pick-up truck and a boat!  You can hardly tell this is in town!

Porch
The growth in the back has been removed, so we can see all the way through to the neighbors.  We miss the privacy and the green.  But we still love the "back 40"!  At this point of the driveway, on the neighbor's property (on the left) stood a very old walnut tree.  It's long gone now.

Flowers and friendship
In these two photos you can see the garden area at the base of the apricot tree. One year a friend and I planted it together (you can still see the wild green in the back 40!).  Every year we enjoy the bulbs returning.  They were here when I moved in and I have never learned their name.  It did not seem to matter in relation to our enjoyment.  They have thinned out a lot over the years as first the owners added some shrubs and then I added rock rose, lavender, and rosemary.  I love the smells out there now!

Bulb garden way back when

2015
Bare
This is what it looks like today.  Missing the 40 year old apricot tree and all of the others, including all the elm trees that once lined the right side of the back 40.
The garden area, where the apricot tree once stood, is lush with the plants I've chosen (except the bulbs, which I like and those red leaf plant shrubs, which I don't care for as much).  The funny (she says with sarcasm) thing is that on any given gardener day, I will come home to find all of the plants in this area (and all of the ones out front too) deeply pruned into square shapes.  I prefer them to be rambling and more natural.  Others seem to like boxes.  (((sigh)))

Bare to the bones
However, I do try to look for the positive...and I do love the sense of big sky back there.  It makes for great sunsets!  The bulbs are up again right now and add some nice splashes of red.  The rosemary smells divine after we water.  But, we'll forever miss the tree's fruit and shade.


This morning I awoke to the sounds of saws!!  "No, no, no" I screamed in my head!!

Tree trimmers
Yep, there they were on the other side of my neighbors.  Trimming or removing?  I hardly dared to ask.  I scanned the skyline all around and discovered birds high atop many of the trees.  They must have been thinking, "There goes the neighborhood!"








And I count my blessing that the neighbor on one side keeps planting, while others continue removing.  I enjoy a view of her orange tree from my shower.
California Dreamin' indeed!

 I hope everyone has a great week.  If it holds disappointments, I hope there is some sunshine sprinkled throughout as well.
~Nancy


Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2015 (and earlier)

3 comments:

yvette said...

why
thank god oaks and pines are forbidden to remove in my neighbourhood

trend is too to seed the land between the asfalt with wild flowers
the us is mostly a couple of years before but now i think we are
( i hope)

Saskia van Herwaarden said...

such a shame, poor tree! but sometimes it's time to let go....

we have many trees in our garden, I say too many, my husband says: they will stay, even the two plum trees that are both diseased, but continue to bear fruit for us and as long as they do, they remain standing.
The thing is, I argue, we don't have so much sun shine as you do and trees tend to grow, hence more and more shade and less light for other plants I would like to grow.....the joys of gardening and couples with differing views. My husband then mentions we have chopped quite a few trees already, he rests his case and I admit to being the lazy gardener that I in truth am and planting can wait until the plum trees make space for something new....or until I actually have time to spend tending to our plot on earth. Not to mention our dog Django who keeps digging new holes for his personal treasures and fun!

such a long reply Nancy, your reminiscing has got me looking back as well

Nancy said...

Yvette~ Yes, the oaks are protected here too. I love the wildflowers idea!

Saskia~ I am so glad to travel down your memory lane! I can certainly agree that too much shade is not preferred. I do like some sunshine :)