Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Second Sunday ~ A Continuation

This will be a continuation of last Sunday's walk.  The germs got the best of me again, so no hike today.  I've spent the weekend laying around, watching football, napping and computing.  Tomorrow starts a new work week.

I saw the following poem this morning on FB.  Y'all know how I love David Whyte.  I've posted videos of his in the past.  Anyway, I liked this one because I noticed the "or not" in the 5th line.  Isn't that just so true...weather we attempt, meet, exceed...we live.  I say that is enough.  Living in the best way you know how.  Striving and accepting at the same time.  Anyway, you can read for yourself and decide how, if or which parts speak to you.


Recall the way
you are all possibilities
you can see and how you live best
as an appreciator of horizons
whether you reach them or not.
Admit that once you have got up
from your chair and opened the door,
once you have walked out into the clean air
toward that edge and taken the path up high
beyond the ordinary, you have become
the privileged and the pilgrim,
the one who will tell the story
and the one, coming back
from the mountain,
who helped to make it.
From MAMEEN in RIVER FLOW: New and Selected Poems
© David Whyte and Many Rivers Press
The Path to High White Stones
Cumbria July 2014
photo © David Whyte

So on to my own mountain from last Sunday...

Heading out of the crevice
 When you last saw us, we had found a bit of history down off the path.  I did take the little button, but left all of the rest behind for other hikers to discover.
I really don't need more stuff!

Crude Petroleum Road
In places the crude petroleum oozed out of the hillside and made its own road...
or paved the trail!  This area had some of the purest ever found.  Now though, the whole area is pretty well contaminated after the refining process distributed it (and other chemicals used in the process) everywhere.

Sage
One of the things I like the best about these hikes are the wonderful scents on the breeze.
I am most usually reminded of my childhood camp.
So much so, that now even he says that it smells Kinneret-y!!
We like to pick the different sages and bring out the scent by rubbing it between our fingers.
I used to take some in my medicine bag
(before that was passed along to my Mama and buried with her).

egg
The crude petroleum traps things in place.
Framed bits of once upon a time.

Heading back out

We head towards the main trail.
Passing under the freeway is both filled with respite from the heat and a bit nerve wracking.
I always feel a slight discomfort at the thought of being under, if there was an earthquake or of running into someone who spends more time than I under here.  We often get the sense of homeless camps in some of these places.
Well, probably I do more than him.  I'm more chicken!

Anyway, before we get to the underpass, I spy a big log off to the side of the trail.
Of course I make a comment about what a great 'table' it could be.
He goes over to explore it, tipping it over to examine it.

Looking in
As he looks into the hollow center...

Abandoned hive
The whole inside is lined with an abandoned bee (or ?) hive.
He pulls some out to check it out and gets a finger filled with sweet honey!

A big piece
It is so pretty!

Still inside
I place the camera down inside the hive.
Look at the light!

steps
Steps for road service workers.

Beauty
As we head to down the trail to the car,
I can't help but snap a another photo or two.

The knob
One last glance at the knob on the other side of the highway leaves me ready for home and ready for another hike real soon.

Last note:
I came to this link (also on FB this morning, thanks Deanna)
A very good read, more than once I believe.

Have a happy & healthy week!
~Nancy


Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2015

2 comments:

Peggy said...

What a lovely day -- so cool to find the honeycomb in the log! Awesome is what it is! Love the egg and I can almost smell the sage! xoxo

Nancy said...

Peggy~ I know...I thought of you right away!! Bees :) Sage is a favorite scent for sure.