Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Open in Light and Shadow

Open on Friday left me noticing 
Light & Shadow.
It found me reflecting on Marti's comment on my last post.
"Open can also let in that which tests us, which can bring us to our knees, which can make us want to close up."

I am not brought to my knees, but the news received has me practicing remaining open, so I can respond thoughtfully, patiently and with kindness for all of the players invloved.

This becomes easier for me as the years go by.

But, on the other hand, I do feel a sense of 'testing'...a level of challenge as I consider the information or lack of it.

It's a lot to think about.

Light & Shadow

So, for right now, I am living the questions.
Photo by Nancy A. Erisman ©2015

“Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."

Rainer Maria Rilke

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's about the shadows that we are possible to see there is light , isn't it ?
M.

Ms. said...

Patience they say is the reward for living long. But, it is also a critical skill that can be cultivated at any age. Lovely poem.

Nancy said...

M.~ Yes, I think it is. Or at least, it certainly helps.

Michelle~ Hey you're up late! I think there may be something to that, I'm far more patient that I was in my younger years. The quote spoke deeply to me years ago. It is one of my most favorites.

deanna7trees said...

i try to live only in the moment where no questions linger.

Marti said...

The partial comment that Nancy quoted has me bringing back the rest of my comment because I think it clarifies what might have come off as a bit unyielding. I went on to say:

However, once opened, even if we only leave a slit, that slit lets in the light, lets in air and so we take a deep breath and in so doing, the expansiveness of our life, continues...I like to think of open as having a hinge that lets us accomodate what presents itself.

Saskia van Herwaarden said...

deep quote, obviously alluding to what's on your mind Nancy, although I have no way of knowing what that is (or do I need to)

Nancy said...

Deanna~ Ah, but things take place in that moment that brings forth some questions, new ones based on unanswered ones. So I consider them as they arrive.

Marti~ I did not feel unyielding from your words. I felt the idea of being open to the testing. I'm not sure I have always been so, but I feel I am in a better place for that now. That is good. I thank you for your words Marti.

Saskia~ Yes, placing veiled thoughts here for the time being. :)

Peggy said...

Loving the questions is also an interesting thought -- from that quote. Whatever it is, you're doing just fine!

deemallon said...

I wish you strength and grounding... and permission to close up if that's what you need.

Nancy said...

Peggy~ Thanks for that and I think you're right!

Dee~ Grounding is good. So is closing up or spilling open, whichever is called for :)

handstories said...

It sounds like you are taking good thoughtful care of yourself, I hope so. Today I talked w/students about the fact that we don't know each others' stories. We have no idea what they went through before they came into our story…so how do we approach others with openess, respect and compassion, but still take care of ourselves?

Nancy said...

Cindy~ Yes, I am. Those are important conversations to have with young people. They have so much to navigate in the current world, especially with social media, which can so easily be misunderstood. What a caring and thoughtful teacher you are.