Sunday, August 24, 2014

Animal Life

Runaway Bunny

I have lately thought of, talked of missing having a pet.
The guy says it weekly.
He really wants a dog, but the landlords do not allow.

So we both get by with the wild birds, bugs and visiting creatures.

The rabbit featured above belongs to my neighbor.
The story (thus far) goes that he got her female rabbit pregnant 
and then dug his way out of the yard.
(insert your own snide humor about the genders here)
He's been living outside our front door in the rock rose or in the back forty 
in the dead sunflower circle and elsewhere.
His coat is so beautiful.
I will try to get a better photo soon.  
He almost lets the guy pet him now.

bug
The guy called me to come see and bring my camera...
There was this tiny bug.
It looked like a beetle moved like an inchworm!
As always, click on photo to enlarge

Anyone know what this is?
We've never seen 'em before.

Turkey Crossing

Leaving for work one morning, as I pull out of the driveway...
what do I see but a wild turkey crossing going on!
Early morning walkers/riders were stopped in amazment!
Fortunately, my camera is always on the front seat.

Gobble Gobble

Gathered

My guess has been that they have come down from the canyon due to the drought.
I've lived here for almost 15 years and not til this year have they been down here near all the houses.  I usually see them when I go walk up the canyon, where there are fewer houses and it is much more rural.
I am fascinated by them.
I have a collection of gathered feathers.

Searching for food
Well, that's all for today.
Enjoy noticing the animals in your world...
and thank you for visiting mine!
~Nancy
All photos by Nancy A. Erisman ©2014

8 comments:

deanna7trees said...

we see the turkeys....i call them vultures....when there is a dead bird or some other animal around. someone in my neighborhood saw a porcupine the other day....kind of unusual around here.

saskia said...

how lovely to see the animals you have captured on camera, alas I have no idea what kind of bug it is

Nancy said...

Deanna~ A porcupine huh!!! Well, that's different! We have lots and lots of turkey vultures here. They soar overhead alone or in small groups. I only get creeped out when there is lots, like 20 or something. The I tell 'em "Hey I'm still alive here!" These however are wild turkeys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_turkey

I can always tell the turkey vultures by the underside light/dark of their feathers.
Here's more about them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_vulture

Saskia~ Yes,we're at a loss too with that bug. Haven't seen it since, but since it moved like an inchworm, maybe it looks different now and we don't even know it!

handstories said...

we've got wandering ducks in our neighborhood, along w/the usual raccoons, possums, etc. In Michigan, we had rabbits & a quail family living in the front yard bushes, that was fun.

Peggy said...

I like your sightings, Nancy! Once in a very great while, we spot turkeys because we live near a creek, guess they wander off and into the neighborhood -- we love seeing them, too. I don't know what that little guy is either but would be interested in knowing if you find out. Looks sort of snail-like...

jude said...

a skunk this morning. only smelled it though

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

that's the thing, the changes
things can make...i wish i could
see it more clearly. how big is
it?

The turkeys are a real gift

Nancy said...

Cindy~ While they are fun for me, I've been learning what pests they are for the neighbors who have the roosting oak trees in their backyard!!

Peggy~ Ah, so then you know wild turkeys too :)

Jude~ Oh, we've got those too! I refuse to go to the trash cans at night, never know what you may surprise!

Grace~ The little bug was teeny, a spec of a thing, which I enlarged through the magic of the camera.