Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Slow Stitching

Doing more on 'the cloth'.
It's really been a slow one.
I sew on lunch hours and 15 minute breaks.
Those times also hold eating and getting my walking in.
Needless to say I may only do 5 stitches at a given time!!

Oh my.

However, the more I stitch on this one...
the more I fall in love with it!

It already holds so much story, thoughts...heart.
I often meditate on the one who will receive this one.
That feels very good.

Last week I worked on this part.




I don't know why there are these holes in the base cloth.  Perhaps from the dyeing process of long ago.  Perhaps just some sort of wear and tear.
But, I didn't want to cover...hide them.  
I liked them.
They're life.
Imperfect.



And all this while, every time I see them when working on 'the cloth', 
I think of this:

“There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.”
~Leonard Cohen, Selected Poems, 1956-1968


So, I circled the 'cracks' in full spectrum magic,
as an honoring of them, of the cracks.

I think to myself, through life's imperfections, we can find joy or healing or growth...
we can find whatever it is we need by just embracing the imperfections of life, of ourselves.
We can find Acceptance and Love.

This is good.




Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2014



17 comments:

deanna7trees said...

it's nice to have some little thing to pick up and stitch when time allows.

Ulrike said...

it makes me smile *s* lovely stitching

Marti said...

The Leonard Cohen quote is one of my most favorite. Cracks in life allow us to grow and SEE and in time to come to know that the splendor of life is so often found in its raggedy, trailing bits...

Peggy said...

A little round window -- I like it SO much!

Els said...

Ha, love the back as much !

Lovely quote ;-)

Nancy said...

Deanna~ Yes, pick it up...put it down, over and over in short bursts!

Ulrike~ Thank you, I'm happy it makes you smile :)

Marti~ Yes, one of my favorites too. I remember upon first hearing it, I just latched on to an idea so well expressed! There are lots of raggedy trailing bits these days.

Peggy~ Like a porthole!

Els~ Me to, the back...with its pokey bits!

saskia said...

hi Nancy, my comment seems to have disappeeared, what I wanted to say is: what a great compapion this cloth is and so patient;-)
love those little tails on the back as well

Nancy said...

Saskia~ I thought I hit 'publish'...oh well, here you are now! Yes, cloth is ever so patient - especially around here! Always gotta show the 'back'.

yvette said...

Leonard Cohen....so right...i love hise words
i love your words
i love your work
i love the way you look
posts below too

hugs

Mo Crow said...

beautiful stitching Nancy, love those cracks that let the light in and the well earned worn bits remind me of "The Velveteen Rabbit" a favourite tale for honouring the well loved & awkwardly endearing oddness of the human condition... "they were quite wobbly... like life really" to quote Tom Baker the Dr Who from the mid 70's re the sets from back then...

Nancy said...

Yvette~ It makes me glad to know you like this...and my words/work. That feels nice.

Mo~ Ah yes, The Velveteen Rabbit. I still have my childhood copy!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

the back is so Alive...
love the contrast, there's a
wonderful story in that

Nancy said...

Grace~ Isn't it though?! I always love the backs so much.

Deb G said...

Love the rainbow of colors...

Nancy said...

Deb~ Yep, love a good rainbow!

handstories said...

I love the rainbow of tassels, and the thoughts behind it all.

Nancy said...

Thanks Cindy :)