Pages

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Journey On

It's Christmas Night here.  It's not a holiday I really celebrate, anymore.  When I was married...when my children were young...when my parents were here...
things were celebrated differently back then.
Currently, a movie and Chinese food worked just fine for the two of us.

I've had these photos to share since September.
That was the month I was so sick and so I never got to them.
I thought about just letting them go, as they are really only important to me.

Do I need to post all of these personal stories?
I don't know.

But, I thought since I am now into the end of the year reflection, as I'm prone to do...
well, I thought they'd be a good representation of my feelings as I close out the year of 2013.

They are a good metaphor for letting go or for saying good-bye 
or for life's losses...and gains.

They symbolize memories and gratitude and community and giving.

And they speak of stuff.  Material possessions.


This childhood Thumbelina doll joined a few other favorite items 
and journeyed off to a new home this year.

I loved her as only a young child can.
Now she has a new lifetime of adventures waiting for her in the arms 
of a precious two year old.

I have spent a lot of time letting go of personal belongings this year.
Things that had no meaning to me, no ties to my heartstrings were sold or donated.

But the most special items were gifted to dear ones.
Thumbelina wears her jamies from the 1960's and the sweet scent of my cedar chest that she has resided in for years.

She climbed into a box with the beautiful white quilt I've shared with you all before, a couple of favorite books, another doll and
beloved corduroy overalls that my daughter once wore.

Sent with love to a sweet mama, whom I've known since she was 7 years old.
With a photo session, hugs and a kiss she was sent on her way.






I lost loved ones this year.  A couple of favorite elders.
I celebrated them and honored them.
I miss them.

I bore witness to others' losses, which through my empathetic heart...
touched me deeply.
I embraced life, both the losses and the gains.
I welcomed new lives.
Rejoiced in them and look forward to more new arrivals!
And I worked to keep my focus in the here and now.
In the present.
Enjoying those I am with...when I am with them.
Celebrating them.  Honoring them.
Embracing them.


This guy also moved out.
Piglet who joined me in approximately 1977 found a new home 
with some other Disney buddies.

He also took his sweet cedar smell and journeyed on.





With a last hug and a pose for the camera, 
Piglet will now reside where many more can appreciate him.







In the sense of material possessions,
it feels very good to have all of these items find new homes 
where they can be loved, appreciated, shared and get a new lease on life.

At least that is the spirit in which they were given.

Now I look forward to a new year.
New plans.
New ideas.
New intentions.

In this last week of the year, I'll be taking time to reflect and cherish.
I'll be joining you all as we embrace just going into 2014.
 ~With Love, Nancy



Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2013





15 comments:

Deb G said...

Wishing you a wonderful week of reflection and planning...

Marti said...

The spirit of giving is ever so meaningful when it is something that has been cherished and loved. I like to think that our memories of the gift hover around it giving a symbolic hug to the one who now has our gifts of love...you can never give too much love in whatever form you choose because it is the one trailing wisp that follows us into each New Year. For continued joy and possibilities...

deanna7trees said...

you sure did a clean up this past year. wishing you joy and happiness for the new year with a lighter load.

Nancy said...

Deb~ Thanks. One thing I'm thinking of: do I want to have an ongoing stitching or other project? Mmmm....

Marti~ I like to think of the Love wisping around passed on treasures.

Deanna~ A lighter load is nice.

linda said...

nancy
i have been cleaning out too.. it has been a new years tradition for me for years. the new years purge. i am doing it a bit early this year.
i like reflecting on the year. it keeps things in perspective. another year of our life.
i also like these connections to people we don't really know.
happy new year..
linda

Els said...

Hi Nancy, hope the two of you have some warm, loving and quiet Holidays, and all the best for the new year 2014 !

Nancy said...

Linda~ I seem to be cleaning out year round! And I guess these connections are a way of leaving our mark.

Els~ Quiet is pretty much all we do! I wish you the best in 2014 :)

saskia said...

you look Happy

Nancy said...

Saskia~ Yes, I had a great time passing these along. It was fun!

handstories said...

I hope I can get to this place of letting go of the sentimental things, it's been hard enough to let go of the things that are just "stuff". you give me hope! Love the piglet photos.
Happy new year to you, Nancy!

Nancy said...

Cindy~ I've given some things to my children, so it helps me pass on others. I also tell myself "not yet" if I am not ready to let go of something. There's no hurry really. That permission helps!

Peggy said...

I admire your thoughtful and heartfelt letting go process. I'm also most grateful to have been the recipient of some of that process! ;) Things you let go of became gifts and blessings for someone else. Happy Merry New Year, Nancy. xo

Nancy said...

Peggy~ Thank you and it was my honor to hare with you. Happy New Year to you as well. :) xo

Velma Bolyard said...

this is an inspiring post, nancy. i've re-read it twice. i think i have some work to do soon, letting go of stuff, lots of stuff, this year. i love the "how you let go."

Nancy said...

Velma~ I'm glad you found something valuable here. I appreciate that you "get this" kind of giving. Take care.