Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Next Hike

This hike is from last weekend.  I'm still compelled to 'catch up'...I have so many things to share!
This was a hike to see if there were any of the fat-round acorns to collect.  While at Ojai Day, I had heard that the season was 'late' this year and many acorns were still in the trees.  So I went looking.  I didn't find any.  The guy was right, squirrels and birds beat us to it.  I did get to enjoy being outdoors though, so all was not lost.
This area is across the valley from the previous hike.  It is right off a major freeway too.  One time, a few years back, we hiked to the very top of one of the mountains on the trail.  It was a very hard hike, filled with switchbacks.  I kept thinking we were almost there, ready to wrap around the mountain...when the trail would lead up some more!!  I was not in the best shape (much heavier back then) and I was quite excited to get to the top!  Then to only make it back down again.  Oh my!
While we stood on the top of the mountain, looking around and being amazed at how high up we were, three turkey vultures began to circle right over our heads...and I mean RIGHT ABOVE our heads.   I kept telling them, "Wait, I'm not dead yet!!"  I didn't stick around too long up there!

Anyway, last weekend I was alone on my hike.  I have to admit that I am always a bit wary when alone or out of eyesight of the guy as these hills have rattle snakes, mountain lions and coyotes among other wildlife.  The coyotes are OK by me, but the others...well, I don't want to meet them out there alone.  I met a couple coming back out as I was heading in and they told me they had seen a bear cub, but didn't stick around to meet it's mother!!
Needless to say, I didn't hike too far in!  I was inspired to think of Valerianna of RavenWood Forest and how brave she is as she wanders her woods!!


Do you see him? (Click on photo to enlarge)
I almost missed getting the picture as he ambled up the hill.  This is the very beginning of the trail, so I was surprised to see him so close to the road.

The trail in...and later back out!


 The sunlight was dancing on the trees.


A light sprinkling of fall was evident.





Moss and dryness residing together



Trees & a flag lined up on the ridge


Eco-dyed leaf!





Paused to listen to the wind in the trees.
(((sigh)))


Then paused to hear the song of the woodpecker




Every time I've been here, this gate stands open.
I like that.
It's nice to know we're always welcome.

Thank you for hiking along with me again.
PS I hope the video plays, this is rather new for me!

Photos by Nancy A. Erisman ©2013




14 comments:

saskia said...

fantastic pic of the woodpecker, you managed to get quite close, yes?
I see the swaying trees in the video, but - on my laptop at least - no sound coming through

I absolutely love walking along with you in your beautiful part of the world, oh the sun and different vegetation you enjoy over there, very nice to be part of it in a very small way

Peggy said...

Nancy, I envy you these last two hikes! You are one brave woman to go alone, too. I truly love your inner trust that you are safe. xoxo

Nancy said...

Saskia~ Nah, I used my zoom! I don't get any sound either and I don't know how to fix it, or if I care enough to do so. I'm so glad you walk along with me, it means a lot. I really do love sharing my slice of the world as I love to see everyone elses.

Peggy~ These hikes close to home are great. And I'm not really brave, trust me! But, I am trying to be more so :) (((hugs)))

Emmy said...

love the trips you make and love to hiking along

Nancy said...

Emmy~ Thank you, it's nice to have you along!

deemallon said...

nice photo-journey... it is amazing how 'hidden' the deer was, and how once you saw it you couldn't NOT see it!

Nancy said...

Dee~ Thank you. I know, huh! When I looked at the deer photo in my camera, I thought I'd missed him...until I looked again, closely!!

layers said...

what a beautiful hike... how lucky for you to see nature up close.

Nancy said...

Layers~ Thank you...I am very lucky to be able to get out in nature!

yvette said...

odear a deer
hike alone with rattlesnakes and astma
what kind of trust in nature
great!

Nancy said...

Yvette~ Very tentative trust anyway!! Haha Did you get the email I sent you? I've been thinking of you :)

Mo Crow said...

that leaf!

handstories said...

I see the wind, but can't hear the wind, but I can feel it! What a beautiful day. Hoping to see your train bridge walk...

Nancy said...

Mo~ A cool one, eh?!!

Cindy~ Ya, not sure how to fix that sound thing. I'm working on the bridge post :)