Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Hiking and Searching for Acorns

This post is quite belated.  This is a hike from a couple of weeks ago.  I just can't seem to get to it all lately.  I hear myself think this and comment on it at other's homes in the blogworld.  It's beginning to sound like whining, even to me!  But, since I've not yet figured out what to DO about it...I repeat myself, lest you all think I am no longer interested.  That is not the case.
Thank you to the many who have inquired about how I'm feeling since the Great Illness of September 2013!  I'm back to my usual health these days and very glad of that.  He is feeling much better too, thankfully.

Anyway, these are from a hike we took recently in the same general hills as our hike I posted about in August.  You can see that here.
Last time we went to the right, but this time we went on the trails to the left of the mountain.

Come along, won't you?




 How many locks does it take?
Oh, well, the gate was open and so in we went...



 The trail into the oak grove

 The trail back out

I was on an acorn collecting mission that day!

 Looking up I notice such interesting patterns on this tree's trunk.

 Here's a closer look.  Do you see what I see?

Red lines, life lines!

An old capped well made a great drum!

Back home again, I spent time with my sunflowers.
As fall heads towards winter, their days are numbered.
I don't want them to go just yet.



Days later, they were falling over of their own accord.
Then the landlord sent someone to 'clean-up' all of the 
volunteer trees and such in the back 40.
All that stands there now are the two logs.
One is from the walnut tree my neighbor cut down.
The other one you can read about here.
We're back to more brown than green back there.
(((sigh)))

Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2013

8 comments:

deanna7trees said...

love seeing all the different varieties of acorns people are collecting. i never realized there were that many different shapes and sizes. interesting...those lifelines on the tree...

linda said...

thanks for the walk. it was wonderful to see it.. i missed the acorns. i saw them and didn't have a bag. i go on long walks looking for walnuts but have yet to find any.
glad you are feeling better. we had the same illness here in april (partner) and it was a long time of healing.

Nancy said...

Deanna~ Yes, so many kinds! There are some that are really round-fat, but the squirrels and bids beat us to them. And those red lines, I thought of you, Peggy, Deb.

Linda~ I have yet to find walnuts since my neighbor cut down his tree. I miss them. Glad your people are on the mend too.

Marti said...

Nancy, what a nice refreshing walk I've just had, went right to my forager's heart, the gathering of acorns. I have 5 very special acorns that were brought back from Glastonbury, England. My daughter, son in law who is British and grand kids went to England way back in 2010. Glastonbury is a hippie sort of pagan town known for a great music festival and a "new age" vibe. My daughter took a photo for me of a wild, old gnarly tree that I called the Dragon tree and that I recreated on cloth. The acorns from Glastonbury are said to be "magick" acorns and I sketched them on dyed walnut cloth and stitched them onto the Dragon tree cloth.

Els said...

Thanks for taking us along on your walk Nancy ;-)

Nancy said...

Marti~ What a great story. I'd love to see a picture of that old tree and the acorns too!

Els~ Thanks, glad you enjoyed!

Velma Bolyard said...

nice journey over here, thank you.

Nancy said...

Velma~ Thanks for coming along!