Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Color in August

Over at Jude's the conversation and reflective thinking and active stitching has turned to color.
It really is beginning to feel as if the only stitching I'm doing is work related.
Adding names to the Gathering Blanket and patching sheets with hearts.
I don't mind this stitching.  I mean, I did bring it upon myself.

 *NOTE: Click on all photos for a closer look*

I'll just be glad when all the names are up to date on the blanket (at least 6 to go!) and I may have to end the ongoing mending project, as there are more holes than I have time for.
One of the sheets had a big rip across it, another hole was discovered by a child's fingers Friday during nap time.  While it was sweet to see his chubby little hand fingering the fabric and poking one little finger into the hole...
my primary thought was, "Ohhhh Nooooo, not another one!!!"
Besides, Jude is totally right in teaching that these sheets are terrifically hard to sew through!!

Anyway, when Peggy tlaked about August being green, combined with Jude's ideas of implementing rainbows, I thought about the color of my days recently.  Here is what I came up with (another photo stream!)

Patched crib sheet

I played around with adding variety to my stitching, instead of just spiraling the heart shape within each heart.  I also have noticed how much the raw edge frays upon many washings.  The whole point in mending these sheets is to get more use out of them.  So, I added some X's and lines within each space of the blanket stitch to help with that.
I don't really want to do turned edges, as I am faster at it this way and my technique is still not great.  The sheet fabric is so tightly woven, that this is not a good place to improve on that skill!
I sign each sheet in my "NAE" and the year signature.   A few of my co-workers really love these little hearts.  What a simple way to bring a smile and some happiness to others.
As I was finishing this one, I noticed yet one more hole, but try as I might - I couldn't see it again to patch it.  I held it up to the light and looked and looked and then decided, "I'm done!"






After listening to one of the rainbow lessons, I threw some 'full spectrum' onto this sheet.  Just for fun!


A nine patch of X's with one other marking (just to shake it up!)
One of those X's holds a hole underneath it!

While finishing it off, I noticed the mottled color of white, perhaps from many bleachings.
Here's what it looks like.  I've enhanced the White sheet so you can see what I saw.

This is the most faint discoloration.  Really!  It took me a couple of weeks of dragging this around to notice it.
Here's another altered image.

Wouldn't it be pretty if it dyed like this!?



I've also had color in my food this summer.  Yellow-white corn from the farmers market.
It was delicious!



The yellow & green of a curly sunflower.

Then there is this variety of sunflower with very dark burgundy petals and a deep brown center.  The following are all the same variety, just with me standing on different sides, thus changing the lighting.





I love how the light peeks through at the base of each petal.  This photo is as close to what I see when walking at work as I could get.





I love how the top one takes on a dainty, almost blushing personality, as if she is saying, "Oh my!" and putting a hand to her mouth!
The bottom one is wearing a headdress or a crown or a Mohawk...or?  The next day, I couldn't find her in the group anymore!  Did she disguise herself by loosing more petals?   Mmmm...I'll look again on Monday!


Do you see what I see?




Here let's move a bit closer...
It was the green sheen that caught my eye.
Reminded me of the feather, recently posted.
And it reminded me of the creatures Saskia finds.  In her world, all of her creatures have a story to tell.  Scroll around the Birdhut to find them :)


I've been trying to be brave and inquisitive when seeing the things that creep me out!
Look at those hairy legs and it's clawed shadow!

Other colorful August events have included a summer evening concert & farmer's market.
The band really rocked!
I like that you can see this moment as colors, movement...music!


Walking through the farmers market, even the quieter colors catch my eye.




Sunrise has the light dancing off the many, many spiderwebs along the driveway wall.
It was hard to capture this daily morning experience.  I thought of these when reading Helen's recent post.


Sunset has me driving home, marveling at the white swoopy clouds and the blast of sunlight in my camera.

Have a nice week everyone!

Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2013

19 comments:

deanna7trees said...

so much here. love your stitching but i've given up stitching on sheets...too tough. wonderful sunflowers.

Nancy said...

Deanna~ ya...Those sheets! Ugh. But Those sunflowers....sigh!!

blandina said...

I love your mending, it is a little work of art.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

your mending is touching. and
BeautyFull....the rainbow hearts...
how wonderful to see these and then the rest... it's all just so FULL.
Love...

patricia said...

enjoyed this photo journey--and reading over your past few blogs--the shadow-feather pics--wonderful images, and the iron pot. great score, yes?

helen said...

Those hearts are great...and bringing happiness and smiles to anyone is one of the best things :~)

I love how you are showing your life through colour here...and the fly...I love insects!...and only yesterday I was preparing a few of my old photos of them ready for my next post...there is one in green...just like yours :~))

...and thank you so much for the mention x

Cathie said...

So pretty. So happy. I love this little
'heart'felt crib sheet.

Peggy said...

Oh, this was so delicious! So much to read and see and think about. What is that beautiful green creature? Thank you, my friend. Your patch-work is pure love. xo

saskia said...

what a fabulous post, so much to see and read about, I just love the way you share your life with us; those colourful hearts are adorable and an absolutely great way to repair a sheet

I walked home today with a bunch of wild flowers that had been mown along the canals in the woods and on one of the branches was a green grasshopper, he stuck with me for a while and as I'd left my phone/camera back home I couldn't take a pic, shame because he decided to hop off just as we were turning the corner towards home....
p.s. thx for the mention;-)

jude said...

a great post! Youe stitching is just grand!. congrats on getting your needle through the sheeting, it is a bitch isn't it? love the rainbow of x's.

Nancy said...

Blandina~ Thank you :)

Grace~ And feels good to touch! Today we had to turn a little one's cot around, as the blue heart was a distraction! haha

Patricia~ Thank you. The pot will hopefully get some use soon.

Helen~ Co-workers are smiling when they fold the laundry! It was actually a 1.5 inch beatle!! I think they are called Japanese Beetles.

Cathie~ (((smile)))

Peggy~ Always love to hear from you :) Like I mentioned to Helen, I think it's a Japanese Beetle.

Saskia~ How funny that Grasshopper hitched a ride with you! Thank you for your very kind words :)

Jude~ Thanks and yes it is! I'm taking a break! Full spectrum and 9-patch...it must be inspired by you!

helen said...

Ha! Looked closer and saw my mistake! Thanks Nancy. I haven't seen any here.
Love to you x

Nancy said...

Helen~ No worries :) This guy is still there, days later, looking exactly the same. I wonder how long it'll remain?

Morna Crites-Moore * Wicked Waif said...

I like your sunflower photos a lot. And your driveway looks like a great length of homespun linen. :-)

Nancy said...

Morna~ Thank you for letting me know that! What a beautiful image of my driveway. Usually I just look at it as too much asphalt and block wall!

handstories said...

love your sheet patching. i just added a bit of old sheet to the word cloth, am I sorry! it will be short words on that part! I wonder if little hands will wear new holes in those spots just from loving the color and textures of your hearts.

Nancy said...

Cindy~ I think it's more the many washings with bleach that invites the holes!!! But I do love to imagine little fingers lovin' the hearts :)

ACey said...

'brave and inquisitive' even when creeped out. yes, me too. This morning I spent some time sitting with my cat at our little frog pond. The extreme heat woke up all the snakes. They where slithering and swimming everywhere, climbing up the trees, sliding out of them. I don't usually mind these snakes but there were SO many of them. I kept telling myself it was a chance to learn, to focus on quietly observing their activities but after some time with that I just had to get up and do something else, inside the house.

Nancy said...

ACey~ Boy, I've been working on that creep factor for a while now! And seeing things in number...another challenge!