Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Before & After #6

Before & After #6...Woven Gift

BEFORE


What started like this...
a basket of selected yarns...


Soon became this...


Don't you just want to touch this?!!


Soon it looked like this...


So many textures and so soft!


AFTER


A small woven 'medicine' bag.
A gift for a co-worker.

This is the first bag that I've woven a secret message into.
I wrote it out on muslin, like this:


Then wove it right in with the other fibers.
You can't even tell it's in there!

This quote is from a favorite children's book:

If you read through the reviews, you can get the sense of this treasure of a story.  It's a loss that this book is out of print, but if you come upon it, pick it up!!
This co-worker and I shared the lesson of this story, 
so I also included a small stone turtle in the gift box.








A small card created with a photo of her name on the Gathering Blanket.
Sensory treats from the garden.
Rosemary-Lavender-Rose Petals-Sage-Rock Rose

Can you smell this deliciousness?!!





I think I'll take orders for these!
They are so fun to create.
I especially like the secret message idea.
I won't share all of the secrets though!!

Photos by Nancy A. Erisman ©2013



16 comments:

Ms. said...

Fortunate I, who have one of these delightful gifts from the hand of this weaver. I love it, and cherish the giver.

Marti said...

Lovely medicine bag and the way it was wrapped with the treasures from the garden make it truly a unique and special gift. I found several of Frank Asch's books at an elementary school book sale in TN, Happy Birthday Moon, Moongame, Bear Shadow;bought them and they are some of my grandchildren's favorite books.

Ulrike said...

oh so cool. the whole bundle not just the beautiful woven bag. and I esp love the secret message idea.

Sandi Meegan said...

what a beautiful gift! So thoughtful! Love the message woven in. Oh the possibilities! Love the addition of your gardens treasures too. xoxo

Debbie said...

What a lovely idea, I adore everything about it. I recently started experimenting with making amulet bags which are a similar idea.

saskia said...

oh what a gift this is and the message woven into the bag itself, that is truly excellent! love it

Nancy said...

Michelle~ It was a pleasure to make/give you one! You are treasured as well :)

Marti~ Oh yes, Happy Birthday Moon has been a classroom favorite. The garden clippings were inspired by who the recipient is. She loved each one of those clippings!

Ulrike~ Thank you. Yes to secret messages! Hooray!

Sandi~ Thank you so much, it was very fun to put together :)

Debbie~ Hello and welcome! Thank you so much for your kind comment. I popped over to your blog...and I will for sure be returning! Great stuff over there :) I'm glad you've joined me along the trail!

Saskia~ Thanks :) She wore it yesterday (after opening it) and again today. That was a huge gift to me! She really 'got it'...the meaning, depth...treasure of it. It was much appreciated :)



deanna7trees said...

oh beautiful and so thoughtful. i'm sure she will treasure it. your posts don't seem to be coming up on my dashboard lately....hmmmmm....

Nancy said...

Deanna~ Thank you. She already has! Maybe subscribe by email instead? At any rate, thanks for stopping by :)

handstories said...

what a beautiful gift & presentation- inside and out! I'd carry all of those treasures-petals, turtle, etc...inside the pouch. I've written secrets on the backside of cloth, but not woven into the front- brilliant.

Nancy said...

Cindy~ Thank you very much. She has been carrying all of it! She also added a plastic turtle that the young children can hold more safely on their own. The little white Opal (?) one looks beautiful in the sunlight :)

Peggy said...

Awesome! And I, too, am lucky enough to have one of your medicine bags.
But I didn't realize that YOU actually made it yourself though!!! Now it's even more special. :)
xoxo

Nancy said...

Peggy~ Yes you do have one! One made especially for my earth-lovin'...bee-lovin' friend!
Hope you are enjoying it :)

jude said...

woven right in, perfect....

Nancy said...

Jude, yes! I'm quite happy with this idea.

Velma Bolyard said...

ahh, this is what you wrote about! a grand idea, and for millenia we have been weaving our words into cloth; so YES to your wonderful medicine bag!