Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me! 2013


I'm celebrating in White this year...in honor of the 
Whispering White of Jude's What If? class!

The top photo is Little Nancy, in white (or what is only remembered as white due to black & white photography of days gone by).  Photos are resting on an old napkin, presumably crocheted by a family member, maybe my grandmother.  I have 12 of them - all now naturally dyed, except this one.


As I mentioned around blogland, I wear very little white these days.  But, in my teen years, I loved it!  It helps that I was very tan in those days, so white looked great!  Once I had children and began working with young children, I decided white wasn't my color any more.  I wish I had the white shirt in the middle pic...it was so sheer with embroidered flowers at the top.  It would be great to cut up for stitching projects!  Haha
Wait!  Now that I think about it...I DO have the tank top on the left!

So, if you were here last year, you may remember the 5 Things game I played to celebrate me...and all of my dear readers!  If you were not here, you can find that birthday post, which includes my birth story, right here.
It's been a full year since Mo asked me to share the photo in the Beach Boys pamphlet.  Gee whiz...what does that say about me?!  All year I've meant to post them.  I finally took pictures months ago and now, finally here they are!

Beach Boys circa 1975
Left-hand page, middle picture on the right...the band member's children come on stage to sing.
We, of course, thought this was the coolest thing ever!
Can you guess which gal is me?  Hint: I'm sitting on a young man's shoulders.
Yep!  There I am!  Boy was I ever surprised to see myself!
I think it's quite timely that I was wearing my favorite off-white overalls!  Nancy in White!

So, now for the game...
5 Things I Bet You Never Knew About Me!

  1. As a preteen, I wore moccasins almost exclusively, almost daily!  They always ended up with holes, as did my socks, which drove my mom crazy!  I would wear them again in a heartbeat if I had a pair.  But, the authentic kind or as close to authentic as you can get...NOT those new trendy ones sold in the department stores.
  2. In high school I wrote horrible poetry that I thought was great...or at least very good!  I knew the truth when I was finally brave enough to share it with a very good friend...an older and wiser friend.  Her 'I don't know what to say' facial response and lack of verbal praise said a lot!!!  Partial sample: "...What would you do if you really weren't you? If you were a figment of somebody's dream..."  Maybe one of my first What If's?!!  I still remember that feeling of thinking what if the world wasn't what we thought it was?  Sort of a Twilight Zone kind of thing!
  3. I don't do mornings.  I dearly wish I did.  I am envious of those who greet the dawn.  Now that I am aging, I don't do late nights so well either! (((sigh)))
  4. I love the sound of a wood screen door banging shut.  I don't know why, as it is not a sound I grew up with (as you can see above in my first day of Kindergarten picture, we had metal screen doors, or none at all).  To me it rings of children happily running in and out during summertime play...of home.
  5. I like almost any kind of music except opera and rap!  I have to be able to hear the words so I can sing along.  I love to sing along in the car...when I'm alone :)
The gang hanging out on the stadium grass.
What great memories of a fun day listening to the music of Pure Prairie League, Jessie Collin Young and The Beach Boys!

Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2013

Beautiful old birthday card from my mom, that I found a few days ago, while cleaning in March.  Hi Mom!

16 comments:

handstories said...

Happy birthday, dear Nancy! So fun, to go down memory lane. #3- when I was asked to work at the school in the mornings, 20 yrs ago- someone at my other job said, "but have they seen you in the mornings?!" Hooray for tea. I hope this is a great year for you, full of all kinds of wishes coming true.x

Ms. said...

Early morning here and you are sleeping peacefully or otherwise tho it's your birthday and what will this day bring? More memories? Another email with links? Sunlight? Ah, my dear...may it be a kind day, and may you have your favorite cake.

Marti said...

I'm late to this party but how terrific this post is, a celebration of YOU. Happy Birthday Nancy and may you wear whatever color you love. Some days it's all about looking like a rainbow and that is what I wish for you: a rainbow of little pockets of joy, laughter and special moments.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

i would sing it...but....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
love,

saskia said...

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you happy birthday dear Nancy!! happy birthday to you,
imagine me singing and you can sing along;-)
lovely to see/read your memories

deanna7trees said...

wishing for you all that you wish for yourself and then some...eat some cake for me.

jenclair said...

Happy Birthday, Nancy! Love the pics you included!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!!

blandina said...

Happy belated birthday, Nancy. I hope that you had lovely celebrations and gifts dear to your heart.

Nancy said...

Blandina~ Thank you!

Deb G said...

Hope your birthday was all kinds of wonderful!

Nancy said...

Thanks Deb!

deemallon said...

couple of days late, here, but heck, I celebrate BirthWeek now, don't you? Anyway, happy birthday Nancy. I really am so interested to see photos of fellow bloggers as young women.. . it's just so fascinating, and lends a layer of mystery and depth to all else.

The five things exercise is a good one. I share your nostalgia for the sound of a screen door slamming.

Nancy said...

Dee~ Sure! Birthweek...month...year! Whay not?!
The 5 Things was really meant to to invite readers to share their own 5 Things in the comments...but I didn't make it very clear :)

Tammy said...

I just popped over here to read your blog. I haven't done much blog surfing or writing lately. But I just had to say Happy Birthday to you Nancy. Your post made me think of my teens .. I love what your doing and hope you celebrate your life as long as makes you happy. I wore moccasins too but living in the hot south most of the time I was barefoot. Loved looking at your life...Have a great time celebrating. :)

Nancy said...

Awww...thanks Tammy! I hope you had some fond memories too! It's good to hear from you again :)