Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Looking for White in Cloth

Well I went into my studio, straight to the drawer that I was sure held some White.  The thing is, among the stack of old white(ish) pillowcases, were some memory fabrics that indeed had white...but bursts of color too.  So, I have three thoughts about this:
  1. I may be pulled towards these color bursts, because it is Spring here and flowers & trees are bursting with color, the green is becoming almost fluorescent!  Things are sharp, bright...alive!
  2. My birthday is coming up.  I'm a Spring baby, so I really embrace this time of year.  You can read my birth story here (if you like)
  3. Many of these fabrics hold stories from my past, my younger self.  They hold color too, spring bursting color!

Here is a group photo of the white finds so far.  Not included are some very old pillowcases.  They belonged to family members, long gone, and are soft to the touch...but tough to the needle!
The white you see in the middle is an old shower curtain.  It's fairly white and has great texture.  Top right: an old pillowcase, mine from high school.  I loved this sheet set.  It was white with pale spring flowers.  The flowers are just about gone now, but their memory remains.  Circling clockwise: part of a child's pillowcase that came with two little embroidered lambs on it.  It is very old (maybe the 1940's).  It has that super soft feel of old cotton.  Next to that is a bottom section from a Mexican dress I wore all through high school.  It started off ankle length, but at some point I shortened it to just below the knee.  I still have the dress too :)  Next to that: a scrap of the bird fabric that my sister once used to make a shirt.  You can read more about it here.  I love this fabric, which is why it is stored with these other fabrics of history.  There is not a lot of white showing, but I'm still considering it.  The last thing you'll notice is a package of cloth diapers.  These are the remains from the days when I would add satin pre-made blanket binding to cloth diapers as gifts for the newborns of friends/family!  I think I made one for the lovely Danielle you've met here!!  I do have two other 'cloth' diapers that belonged to my daughter.  But, that is a story for another day!

 The two photos below show scraps from an old chenille bedspread I used when I was first married.  It cost 25 cents at a yard sale and had almost ALL of it's chenille when I bought it.  I used it til most of white chenille had fallen apart (funny it was the White that fell out and the colors that stayed!  Ha!)  Then I cut it apart, saving the colorful motifs.


I don't know which, if any of these I will use for my What If-ing?  Right now I like the idea of using the stark white diapers as a part of something!   They are certainly the most white, even with the blue stamp 'Dundee'!   I also have more of the dotted grippy feet-pajama's bottom of the sole fabric.  I used it for the Soar feather, which you can read about here.  The photo makes it look yellowish, but it is the lighting...it is really very white.  I may or may not use that fabric too.  It is rather stiff as intended for use on the sole of the foot.  Lastly, I have a bit of cheese cloth around, which is, of course, super thin and fine.  I am beginning to feel like Goldilocks!!
So there you have the up to the minute news of White over here!

Oh, and one more thing...
There is lots of color around here too.  Especially in the spring flowers I mentioned at the beginning of this post.
Something interesting to me is that when I loaded these photos, I not only saw color, but I saw how, when coming from behind, the sun seems to remove some color.  At least that's how it appears to me.  Can you see how much white is in the photos below?  The term is usually fade to black...but here it is fade to white!  Mmmm...



Light dancing on the tips of the petals and freckling the leaves, showing as white in places.



I've loaded so many pictures this weekend, using Picasa.  After loading them I usually resize them using 'Creative Kit'.  It's been taking a really long time to load them all.  This is OK for now because I dedicated this weekend to getting some of the blog stuff off my mind and posted.  But, it is why I've not been posting a lot lately...that time factor.
Anyway, this is part of the message that comes up while a picture is loading:

"We noticed Picnik is loading slowly. It’s possible waiting
may solve this issue."

It makes me smile every time!  Imagine how much less stressful our world would be if gentle humor was sprinkled throughout!!

OK then...one more quick post and I'm off to sew...

Photos by Nancy A. Erisman ©2013

4 comments:

deanna7trees said...

that message from Picnik is funny. the sun does wash out color doesn't it. i am amazed at some of the things you have saved from the past. you could use color along with the white for whatiffing...you have so many pretty ones amongst your treasures. i love the chenille.

Ms. said...

She who searches will always find! Such a wealth of associations here, you'll have no difficulty finding the story you want to tell once you choose:-)

handstories said...

such a pretty rose. such a lot of white stories....i should go digging for some of my own. I do have raggedy old diapers, that are clean up cloths now, that I stitch over now & then. Not pretty, but practical!

Nancy said...

Deanna~ Yes, I am thinking of adding in color...and yes, I've got almost too much saved! :)

Michelle~ Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Cindy~ Yes I'd love to see your whites :) This IS a beautiful rose bush.