Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

George Carlin Talks About "Stuff"

   LOOK WHAT I FOUND!  THIS OLD 'DRAFT' IS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF HOW ONE CAN NOW ACCUMULATE ELECTRONIC CLUTTER!!  I WROTE THIS POST LAST YEAR, NEVER FINISHED IT...NEVER POSTED IT!

  NOW IT IS THE FIRST OF MARCH 2013 AND I AM PREPARING TO ONCE AGAIN CLEAR CLUTTER.  HOW DO I KEEP CLEARING IT AND IT KEEPS STAYING AND GROWING??!!

  LAST MARCH I DID CLUTTER CLEARING THAT INVOLVED REMOVING 'AT LEAST' ONE THING FROM THE HOUSE EVERY DAY.  SOME DAYS I CLEANED OUT WHOLE JUNK DRAWERS OR CLOSET SHELVES, WHILE OTHER DAYS I QUICKLY THREW AWAY ONE THING AS I TROTTED OFF TO BED.

        I'M ACTUALLY REALLY EXCITED TO DO THIS AGAIN.
IN JANUARY - I WROTE ONE SMALL STONE EVERY DAY.
IN FEBRUARY, I HAD THOUGHT OF DOING A ______ (SOMETHING) EVERYDAY.  BUT, I'VE MOSTLY BEEN SICK EVERY DAY (DOES THAT COUNT? HA!)

SO NOW HERE WE ARE AT MARCH, AND LIKE LAST MARCH IT WILL BE CLEANING TIME AGAIN!  I WILL USE THE SAME PLAN AS LAST YEAR: REMOVE AT LEAST ONE THING FROM THE HOUSE EVERY DAY.  I ALREADY HAVE A BAG OF OLD CLOTHES FOR THE GOODWILL READY TO GO FOR TOMORROW.
I'VE ALSO BEEN WORKING ON GETTING RID OF THE DUPLICATE AND TRIPLICATE PHOTOS I BROUGHT HOME FROM MY MOM'S THINGS.  THIS JOB HAS BEEN VERY TIME CONSUMING...BUT EASY ENOUGH TO DO WHEN ON THE COUCH NOT FEELING WELL!

I WANT LESS...LESS...LESS!
I AM WILLING TO PART WITH MORE OLD SEWING/ART/CRAFT MAGAZINES.
I AM WILLING TO SELL SOME OF MY ART.
I AM WILLING TO SHARE, SELL, GIFT SOME OF MY FABRIC.
(LEAVE A MESSAGE OR EMAIL ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ANYTHING)

HERE IS A GOOD ARTICLE THAT I HAD IN AN OLD POST.  I THOUGHT I'D SHARE IT AGAIN IN CASE SOMEONE ELSE IS READY FOR INSPIRATION FOR SPRING CLEANING.

~I'VE TYPED THIS IN ALL CAPS TO DIFFERENTIATE IT FROM THE OLD 'STUFF' DRAFT I FOUND.  NOW, WHEN I POST THIS, I WILL HAVE SUCCESSFULLY CLEANED OUT ONE OLD DRAFT AND BE MOVING FORWARD TO MORE 'STUFF'!!!

SO, WITHOUT FURTHER ADIEU...
THE OLD DISCOVERED POST ABOUT 'STUFF':


   
*Please Note: Remember, this is George Carlin...profanity included.

This is where I've been...surrounded in Stuff.  Pondering where stuff fits, in this phase of my life.  I feel like I am suffocating. 
I take photos back to my sisters and somehow end up with another batch to bring home.

Little me from the never-ending photo stash!


Some stuff is easy to decide about.  The photo below shows a piece of artwork that hung in our dining room during our childhood.  There were others that surrounded this center piece, but this is what's left.  Every time I touch it, another piece comes off in my hand!  Can you find the 2 two-headed men?  Well, I don't think they were meant to have two heads, but that is how 2 little girls saw it!  Oh my, how we studied that picture over the years.  I think I will put the two-headed men on the shoe project!  In fact, there will be many new layers added to the shoe!


We have had time to reminisce while looking over these belongings.  My three nieces laughing at the photos and the extra long formal gloves, wondering at the need for a silver, glass-lined butter dish and not understanding the urgency, concern and sadness that my sister and I embrace as we are propelled through family history.  It's nice to be able to share some of these moments with them.
I long for my own children to be here.


“If you want a golden rule that will fit everybody, this is it: 
Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, 
or believe to be beautiful.”
-- William Morris, "The Beauty of Life"


Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2013

12 comments:

Ms. said...

A perfect project for Winter's end! You're getting a jump on Spring cleaning. I find I'm happy with a certain amount of orderly clutter and I have a closet project coming on wherein I bag all those unworn things and bring them to the thrifts Big shopping cart down three flights of stairs and a short walk--several of these trips). So onward we go a day at a time.

Nancy said...

Michelle~ I'm ready for Spring! 'Orderly clutter'...that made me chuckle! Wish I was closer, I'd help ya lug clothes away! :)

saskia said...

very funny video, I'd never heard of him but that's probably because I live 'over here'.
As to the de-cluttering project: good luck on your quest! You'ld think, if you throw out one thing a day for a month it would make a difference, ha.
I get the urge a couple of times a year and am amazed at what has managed to creep into the house and garden over a few months, I consider myself a low consumption person and yet, and yet....it's not just the boys adding to the pile of stuff.
Are you fully recovered? The flu has hit many over here as well

Sandy said...

lso 900

Nancy said...

Saskia~ George Carlin is an old favorite of mine...and yes, he's very funny! Thank you for the wishes of luck. I've got the determination, so I'm ready to roll! I'm not fully, fully recovered, but mostly on the mend...but heading back to work on Monday, regardless. Thanks again.

Sandy~ I'm not sure what you mean? In search of ? Anyway, hope you have managed to stage de-cluttered since your last go-around!

Sandy said...

I sent you a nice long message last night.... wonder what happened to it....
the gist of it was, you have inspired me to continue on my quest for simplicity. The items I "kept" were things I thought I would use, but 3 months later, still there unused. They's gotta go.
Now I am always weak when it comes to cloth, so my door is aways open if you are parting with any.
Do you "need" anything? Hugs to you. Glad to hear you are feeling better!
Sandy

deanna7trees said...

lately, trying to de-clutter makes more clutter...piles here and there. mine is mostly craft stuff, not family memorabilia. sounds like you're making progress.

Nancy said...

Sandy~ Oh, glad to hear you feel inspired! I'll let you know when I get to the cloth...right now I'm buried in photographs!
I am mostly on the mend :)

Deanna~ You are so right there! I have piles of photos everywhere! I thought I'd made great progress, until I opened the cupboard to put away the photo boxes and found 2 envelopes and a bag of...you guessed it...MORE photos! Ahhh... I think they are multiplying in that closet!

Peggy said...

Hi Nancy, oh George Carlin so nailed it, didn't he? He was so great. I used to think he was profane, too, but by today's standards, he's actually pretty mild. ;) Seems like you're tapping into Spring energy all right -- clearing, cleaning, and hope. How I love reading about it and hey, maybe even doing some around here along with you! What a cute little girl you are, I remember those stretchy headbands we used to wear! Happy clearing, my friend! xo

Nancy said...

Peggy~ Well, Spring energy from sitting on the couch!! Haha Still resting, but getting stuff done too. And I loved those headbands, didn't you?!

wholly jeanne said...

We downsized in 3/2011. It was hard, and a really, really, really short time frame helped immensely. There have been precious few things I've missed, and none that I haven't been able to live without;)

Nancy said...

I'm not moving...but I am downsizing! Ha! It's amazing what we can live without :)