Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Letting Go


Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2012





For days now...maybe even longer, I've been thinking of letting go.
This often happens for me at this time of year.  I'm confident I am not alone in this type of reflection during the New Year season.
Some of that letting go is a reflection on 'stuff' as I have mentioned in the past.  Some of that letting go is of feelings, attitudes or memories that no longer work for me.
Even though it can be hard sometimes, stuff is a lot easier to let go of!
I was reading over at Roz's blogplace tonight.  Her beautiful post inspired me to put something down here to depict what I am feeling, thinking, and doing.
The picture above represents that to me.  It is both 'stuff' and feelings.  I have taken action to let it go.  I have listed these vintage late 1960's wall art for sale on a local FaceBook page.  
I will welcome the few dollars it will bring in, but more importantly, 
I will embrace its absence.
These two wall plaques were sent to me by someone who should have been important to me, but never really earned that place.  I was a child, maybe 10 or 11 years old.  Now when I look at them, I think that this was an odd gift for a child.  My sister received the 'cool' ones with designs of peace or love or something.  I wanted the cool ones...I was old enough - I understood those symbols.  These made no sense to me.  They confused and unsettled me.  But this person didn't really know me, so this is what I got.  They hung in my childhood bedroom because they were mine.  They were the set that this sister got.  So I hung them.  For years.
However, I never liked them.  But I kept them.
I kept them because there was so little connection with this person who should have been important.  I kept them because I thought the few 'things' sent to me showed how this person cared.  I'm not so sure about that anymore.  I'm not sure how or how much that person cared.  It's unimportant now.  It's time to let it go.
Maybe not all of it, all at once.
But, I'm starting with this.
Finding these in a tub in the storage shed confirmed just how ridiculous some of our habits and hanging-on's can be.
Now...what else no longer serves me?

6 comments:

deanna7trees said...

even though you kept them, it sounds like you let go of them long ago...

Nancy said...

Deanna~ Yes, in a sense I did. In another way though, this was a brand new idea of not needing this any longer. A different kind of 'A-Ha' moment. But, it all works :)

saskia said...

yes to letting go....I have been clearing out house, cellar and studio (yet again) because I/we gather and 'get stuffed', and also I had to ease back into the studio after these hectic weeks of looking after husband, kids, dog and then the holidays; cleaning is a good way to start the new year: may good, nourishing, loving, caring people and thoughts come your way Nancy!!

Nancy said...

Thank you Saskia...and thank you for your loving comments along the way. I've enjoyed the journey with you and wish good things for you in 2013!

blandina said...

So little connection for a person that should have been important: I love this, it reflects my feelings for someone who hurt me deeply. It is hard to let go...why?

Nancy said...

Blandina~ I was hurt deeply as well. This person seemed to have the power to shape how I saw my self-worth. I continue to try and take that power back. I think it is hard because we what so very badly for it to not be what it was. Or at least that is true for me.