Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year 2013!




This is Kate.  She cared for my mother when my mother was a child.  She was the rock my mom leaned into.  I can't seem to remember her last name right now.  But I recall a few simple facts.  She was of German ancestry and was strong, stable and caring.  She's here tonight because the story I best remember about her is how she would wake my mom and my aunt at midnight on New Years eve and fix them hot chocolate to drink 
as they rang in the New Year!  
What a treat for a young child, to be allowed to get up after bedtime and drink a tasty treat!  
I wish I would have heard this story when my children were young, as I would have loved to carry on the tradition.
I think this story of hers should live on!



Happy New Year to all of my friends and family...may 2013 bring much goodness to all!



Photos by Nancy A. Erisman ©2012

12 comments:

Doris said...

What a beautiful story. A Happy New Year to you. Let´s see where it will lead us. ...

Deb G said...

Happy New Year Nancy! That tradition would be one that a child would love...

deanna7trees said...

a wonderful story. as i remember it, we were allowed to stay up till midnight on new years eve and there were always goodies to munch on. now i am asleep by midnight. wishing you a grand new year.

Nancy said...

Doris~ I always thought it was a beautiful story & worth sharing :) Off we gooooo...

Deb~ I agree! Happiness to you as well!!!

Deanna~ I don't remember staying up until I was a young teen, which may be why I love this story so!! Haha I didn't make it last night either, fell a sleep on the couch! A grand New Year indeed!

Peggy said...

I like this story, too, and I'm thinking Kate would enjoy your writing about it!

Happy Year to you, Nancy, and I look forward to more wonder-fullness here at Pomegranate Trail! xoxo

Nancy said...

Peggy~ Maybe she would, maybe she would! This is person who I was never able to meet, but I can still hear the fondness in my Mam's voice when she spoke of her.
Thanks for your faithful readership! :)

AKW said...

That is a great tradition and a sweet memory.

Nancy said...

Yes, Amy...a very sweet memory!

Velma Bolyard said...

a wonderful story, nancy, and thanks. she looks kind.

Nancy said...

Velma~ Thank you for stopping by! Yes, I believe she was kind...firm, but kind! I love this photograph :)

handstories said...

a sweet story....Moon asked us to wake him up & we tried, but he mumbled, "maybe next year" & kept sleeping! happy new year to you & yours.

Nancy said...

Cindy~ Moon sounds like a guy after my own heart!! Happy New Year to you and yours as well :)