Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Summertime

A scattering...a spattering...
things from here and there.
Summertime, sunshine
Delights everywhere...


Do you see the double curly-cue on the right side?
Do you see how the melon is divided into thirds?
There was a set of curly-cues in each divided third-line, coming from the middle.
Here...wait...I'll zoom in...


Is that better?  Maybe tilt your screen a bit :)
It sure is hard to photograph a shiny watermelon!


Responsibilities abound...
Grab a moment, noon or nightfall.
Enjoying little bits of summertime.

Now a short summer story...

MS. SUNFLOWER &
MS. MOON



Once upon a time there was a very tall sunflower-gal.  Everyday she stood basking in the summer sun.  She turned her face this way and that to let the sun warm her and the wind blow through her petals.


Sometimes her sister joined her. They stood together for hours chatting and sharing secrets the way sisters do.  Their leaves shook with laughter.










Some days she didn't feel quite so sunny and she'd hang her head, studying the earth
at her foot.  The breeze became strong winds, tangling her petals and causing them to fall limp.  "Bad hair day?" the other gals would joke.  Even their friendly humor couldn't always bring her sunshine attitude back.












On those days, she usually hung around waiting for Moon.
Ms. Moon always brought a sense of calm and contentment.  Moon showed her confidence and strength everyday, no matter how full she was, Moon continued to shine.



Ms. Sunflower took this lesson to heart. It seemed she stood a little taller and shone a little brighter!


~The End~


Mo and I discussed making mandalas on the solstice.  Well, better late than never!  Ha!
Here is my attempt at creating a mandala from the flowers in my yard.  Can you see the sunflower head in the middle?  I found it on the ground on my side of the fence.


Look at those shapes and colors!
Do you see the little poppies?  That is the state flower here.  They grow wild in my back yard :) 

Finally, the wind won and I took photos of it's work instead of beautiful mandala handiwork of mine!  Haha

I like how the photo on the left looks like it is either becoming or unbecoming a flower spiral!!!

Not done on the solstice...but fun just the same!






 I took an old round tablecloth, from one of those 3-legged accent tables, and placed it in the washtub for dying.  I used a rusted grid that I found on a walk years ago.  I added other rusted items, onion peels, a copper pipe etc.  I even threw some flowers in, but just for decoration!!!  Haha
A few days later...




 Mmmmm...
I think it needs  more!


Summertime has always meant these special treats to me...
the juicy goodness of watermelon...
the dusty, salty seeds...eaten one by one.
Creative experiences...
And memories of my youth when camp and song filled the days.



I shared this with Cindy and I thought to share it here with you all too, because summer is about singing too.  Well everyday is about singing!  But my memories of singing old folk songs at summer camp with my mom and sister is one of my best memories.   And sitting outside in the shade singing with babies, with children...well it doesn't get any better!  This is one of my favorite quotes, by one of my favorite children's recording artists & more.  Tom Hunter was a most amazing man.  I am proud to know his music and honored to have met him.  No more links today folks, investigate on your own.
Class dismissed.
 
We don’t sing as much as people used to. There’s a lot of music around, but we listen more. We’re increasingly interested in performance, less in participation, so kids in cars are more likely to have headphones on than to be singing together, all of which means we need reminders of the power of song — to connect us, to carry information and tradition, to help us mourn and celebrate, to give us courage and identity, to tickle and touch our hearts. Developing brains need songs. Research is clear on that. Songs awaken memories too. They’re the hooks to hang your memories on. They’re also very useful in engaging kids in learning, and in creating lively classrooms. Recordings are good, but our own voices are better. So I hope you’ll sing, even if you don’t feel you’re very good at it. Use recordings to learn a song, to appreciate how someone else does it, to sing along. Then sing yourself — in the car and at bedtime, on the playground and in the hall, anywhere, anytime. It’s one of the best, cheapest, and most fun things you can do!
— Tom Hunter

Enjoy your summer everyone!

Photos by Nancy A. Erisman ©2012

11 comments:

Mo Crow said...

what a lovely summer filled post & I like how the wind blew your mandala into a spiral! what a wonderful way to connect with he planet!

Drucilla Pettibone said...

love your summer stories, memories and musings. and i especially love that tablecloth!! beautiful!

Nancy said...

Mo~ I know, huh? The spiral is cool! I didn't even notice til I was doing this post :)

Dru~ Thanks. And you think, the tablecloth? I feel unsure. I wish I had some indigo :)

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

singing is yes, so so good. i am
not much at it, but i do it anyway.
a good sweet and watermellony post!

Nancy said...

Grace~ Maybe your little goats would like to sing along with you! Tomorrow night is watermelon night! Yea!

handstories said...

this post is a slice of summer! i do miss singing around the campfire at camp. love that cloth, & wonder what will happen to it next?

Deb G said...

I love that Tom Hunter quote. And I was lucky enough to meet him too.... A group of us had dinner with him one night while I was in college.

Nancy said...

Cindy~ Ya, campfires sure add a lot! The tablecloth is wrapped around a copper pipe & back in the washtub with rusty stuff and old tea bags.

Deb~ Oh, lucky you to share a meal with such a special man.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Nancy. What a lovely post. Liked your sunflower story. That table cloth is going to turn out interesting. Are you planning some stitching on it?
Hope your summer is not too hot, productive and relaxing!
best, nadia

Peggy said...

Nancy, I think of you when I think of sunflowers now. :) Mine aren't even close to blooming, they are teeny yet, everything was planted late this year. And your cloth took quite a lot of color and pattern, it looks very successful. xo

Nancy said...

Nadia~ Thank you :) The tablecloth is not quite the golden brown I wanted, but we'll see what happens when I take it out of the dye again.

Peggy~ The sunflowers are about 10 feet tall and are not dropping their heads forward, as if they are just too heavy to hold up any longer.