Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Continuing


Last year, and many others in the past...
I've made plans or resolutions.  I've heard others use the word intentions, which feels a bit more accurate for me.
Also, in the past, I've chosen specific words to focus on.
2011's word was create and while I did do a lot of 'creating'...two things are for sure, I wish I had done even more and I pretty much forgot about the whole thing by February!  I kept on creating though, past February and through the year because that's what I do.


Life isn't about finding yourself.  Life is about creating yourself.  -George Bernard Shaw



Maybe Life is about stumbling on to yourself!  That seems to be more my style.
Usually, I end up forgetting all about these things a few months, or a few weeks into the year.
This year I'm choosing to do none of that.  After all, it's another year, in a long string of years that has and will make up my life.  I will embrace my love of the New Year = fresh start feelings.  I will focus on those feelings for as long as I do, then I'll move on.

A young man I know and a friend of his have discovered the art of continuing.  And really it's very simple, just tape on another piece of 

paper and go on with your drawing.  I believe they call this practice "continuing art".



I love that these first graders have unknowingly come up with such meaningful metaphor for this time of year, for life in general.  Make some additions, some adjustments and carry on.

This is a very good thing to remember.
Frankly, I was delighted to witness some continuing art being made (if only for a moment) by this young man.  Several papers were taped together and he was busy adding more to his story.  I was told that his friend had continued his drawn story up his bedroom wall and on to the ceiling!  Later, I was sent the two photos above showing his continuing art posted near the ceiling of his own bedroom.
I look at these drawings and wonder what their stories are.  They hold the imaginative thoughts of a young boy.  They supply inspiration to those that see them.
  I think some stories don't have to have an end.  Some stories can continue on & on &on...

Here's wishing your story continues in 2012.
May you embrace many, many moments.

This Moment
This Moment

A neighborhood.
At dusk.

Things are getting ready
to happen
out of sight.

Stars and moths.
And rinds slanting around fruit.

But not yet.

One tree is black.
One window is yellow as butter.

A woman leans down to catch a child
who has run into her arms
this moment.

Stars rise.
Moths flutter.
Apples sweeten in the dark.

~Eavan Boland

21 comments:

deanna7trees said...

oh i just love that continuing story by just adding a paper and another and another...i wonder if i was that clever when i was a kid.
i make resolutions all year long. don't ever wait until january. i tend to follow through on most of them. and i chose the word 'engage' for the past 2 years but i think this year i'm going to try and be a little quieter. not everything has to be said out loud, i think.

ACey said...

this is such a wonderful post. I got very excited as I read it. Your young friends are really on to something. Will be applying their wisdom freely and feel confident that will help me realize it's not a matter of *finding* my creative groove again - I just need to tape it together!

Nancy said...

Deanna, I too became so excited seeing him working on a 'continuing art' drawing...right on the living room floor :)
And yes, we can be quiet! Hopefully we can change our minds too, because I'm sure to do that!

ACey- That's it...tape will solve it!!

aracne said...

A great post, I like this metaphor of making additions and adjustments and carrying on (sometimes besides additions I feel that we also need to make substractions!).
It is a very strong message, everything I need after the difficult Christmas days: change what we can and accept the rest.
The poem is very sweet, usually I do not like poetry but this one touched my heart.

jenclair said...

What an inspiration for the imagination! Love the idea of a continuing story to accompany the drawings.

Oh, and I like Eavan Boland, but wasn't familiar with this poem! Thanks.

I have a lot of "intentions" for the new year, but no resolutions, which are way to specific for me.

Nancy said...

aracne- I'm glad this post worked for you!! And yes, subtractions...good point!
Poetry doesn't always work for me either :)

Jenclair- I love how his drawings just continue on, with no break.
I actually have not heard of Eavan Boland, but will have to look for more. This was in a small book of poetry my daughter sent me for the holidays.
"Poetry to Calm Your Soul" by: Mimi Khalvati

Ruby Slippers said...

I love this idea of the continuing story. I get that excited feeling of the ether around me being filled with possibilities for playing with this.

I see stories and even 'individual' events in our lives are being networks rather than straight line events with beginning and end. There are strands coming from the past which affect what we feel and do in the present. There are strands going out to affect the future. Then there are the strands that go out in all directions as the others involved in the story or the event have their own life stories impacted and possibly changed. I also feel that what we see in the physical world is just the tip of the iceberg. What lies beneath the surface and beyond the view of our physical eyes is the mystery.

Els said...

Many more happy moments in the year to come !

Nancy said...

Ruby- Yes we are all but a strand on the web, aren't we?

Els- Many happy moments to you as well Els!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

BIG love to you, Nancy as we
"begin again"

Serena said...

A very happy New Year to you!

Nancy said...

Grace- BIG love to you too! Ready, set, begin...

Serena- And to you as well!

woman with wings said...

Nancy, this is great, I'm in sync with the continuing, I think. Usually I try to live new year's day in a way that I'd like to live all my days. But today, I'm just doing what you call, basic living. Continuing! Happy continuing, Nancy...

Nancy said...

Peggy- Me too, just continuing...

handstories said...

love this.
for so many reasons.
as i stumble along, too.
thank you.

Nancy said...

Cindy- you are most welcome, it's good to have fellow stumblers on the trail!

jude said...

just add another patch, yup....

Nancy said...

Jude- knew you could relate!

helen said...

continuing...YES. Oh this filled my heart Nancy ~ thank you...and thank you for visiting my blog :~) x x

Love the poem too. Need to look him up.

helen said...

Oops...just looked her up :~)))

Nancy said...

Awww...thanks Helen. I'm so glad to see you back here! This poem was in a small book of poetry that my daughter gave me :)
(I didn't realize "her" either!)