Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

5x8

  Found among my mother's things...
6 linen (?) cloths.  Each with it's own illustrated quote.  Measuring approximately 5x8.  Would you like a little Dickens with your cocktail?  I think they are pretty funny.  These most likely belonged to my mother and birth-father in the early 1950's.  I wonder what stories they could tell?  I think I will do a bit of online research...




UPPER LEFT: "Welcome Poverty", cried Mr.McCauber              
UPPER RIGHT: Mr. Pecksniff and his charming daughter   
BOTTOM: Mr. Fezziwigs Ball

                                                  

 
TOP: Convivality at Bob Sawyers  
BOTTOM LEFT: Mr. Jefferson Brick proposes an appropriate sentiment 
BOTTOM RIGHT: Mrs.Gamp looked around and chuckled

All photos by Nancy A. Erisman ©2011




                                                                      

12 comments:

deanna7trees said...

what a fun and interesting cloth finding. will you stitch them together?

Nancy said...

Deanna- That was my first thought, but I'm not sure. So far no luck finding out more about them online.

deanna7trees said...

I found this: 6 VINTAGE DICKENS COASTERS COCKTAIL NAPKINS . it was on ebay at one time with that title but no longer there. I just googled the saying on one of the napkins.

Nancy said...

Deanna...Now why didn't I think of that??!!!! I think I saw that title there but no pic. You gave me a whole new way to try! Thanks.

handstories said...

I like Mrs. Gamp's chuckling! it will be fun to see what you do with them.

Nancy said...

Cindy- And the charming daughter with her nose in the air!

Ruby Slippers said...

These are delightful Nancy! They remind me of the illustrations in a book that my father had of a famous cartoonist. Unfortunately I don't remember his name or know where the book is now but these make me think of British cartoonists around the time of Punch magazine. Have fun with them!

Yvonne said...

I love the names Pecksmith, Fezziwigs, and Gamp. Good luck with the search.

Nancy said...

Ruby- that would make sense. My mother loved all things British, even if she was a California gal!

Yvonne- Yes I laughed at the names too!

woman with wings said...

I've never seen anything like these before, they are very cool! Could be wonderful components in a cloth piece or ?

Drucilla Pettibone said...

these are wonderful. my mum gave me something similar but printed with kewpie dolls in various poses. i think putting them together on a cloth would be so much fun. let us know what you do with them!

Nancy said...

Peggy & Dru- They would be fun on a cloth. Somewhere I read how they would make a cute pocket! That made me laugh. Deanna found these online:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/22772174/vintage-cocktail-napkins-dickensian

http://garrelsdogwoodholler.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Vintage-Lines/My-Recent-Auction-Finds/11765472_BXmxJ/1/830748040_BFdYt#830748040_BFdYt

Thanks Deanna!!