Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Two New Feathers

Peace, Love, Music & Feathers

Two more feathers for The Magic Feather Project that  
Jude Hill has been creating and organizing.   Everyone is invited to join in!  She has posted all of the information along with tutorials.  
Give it a try...invite a friend!

These two feathers are to honor the importance of music in our lives...and ideas of peaceful coexistence...and all of the good feelings we get from these things.
Oh, and to honor my guy too!


The white backing fabric is from a project that did not work out 
for a group of children I used to work with.
I am happy to be able to use it here.
The tie-dye fabric is a heavy cotton and once belonged to my guy in the form of a pair of pants.  He liked to wear these when recording music in his home studio.  
That was until I took the pants over about 11 years ago!  
I wore them until there was almost nothing left!


On the back you can see the spiral which I added due to the lumps that arose within the peace sign.  I think because I seem to stitch so tightly and still use knots (I can't help myself!) - the surface got very pulled in and bumpy.
But then I had these thoughts:
  1. It is really OK.  Perfection is not the best way.
  2. It is still pretty and stitched with loving thoughts.  This is where the importance stands!
  3. It is not done as it will be added to others in Jude's cloth (If it works for her project).
  4. Jude will be adding stitches and she is a Magician!!!  She can make it work!
  5. Children won't mind, they may even like these bumps.
  6. It really is OK just the way it is! 

Then I tried looking at it through a child's eyes and feeling it with their small hands.  I imagined a worried child pressing his or her fingers into the fabric...pushing down on a bump only to have it pop up somewhere else...doing this again and again.  Maybe lost in thought or maybe having feelings pop up as well.  Small fingers tracing the magic thread peace sign...knowing what that symbol means (it's such a universal symbol)...maybe inviting conversation or reflection or both.
The combination of brighter colors and subdued colors a celebration of the bold and less secure in all of us.  
The textures and symbols inviting us to touch it and think our thoughts.
In the end, I am really glad this feather block holds 
the imperfections it does.


 I've yet to learn how to do Jude's style of fringe, so I added my own style of braids and knots.  I have used this technique on projects in the past, mostly the 'power sticks' I have made for friends and family.  I stitched down the ends to help it remain child friendly for a long time.  I had thought of adding music notes on the right side, under the fringe, but decided to leave it more open for Jude to decide how it will best be used.
Additionally, this one ended up a bit bigger, so I do hope it works out for Jude's needs.


The last step is to let it wait for mailing out in the studio, where there are good vibes and almost always incense burning!

Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2011

8 comments:

Ms. ∆×∆p×≥h/4π said...

I can just see you there, incense wafting, you stitching away, full of thoughts and playing with the history and mystery of your accumulated living. Delightful.

Nancy said...

Michelle- "accumulated living" - yes, whatever that looks like for each one of us, it's who we are. Thank you for that phrase!
Reminds me of the poignant story "Eleven" by Sandra Cisneros. It is one of my All Time Favorite pieces of writing. We are all "eleven, ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, and one" inside aren't we?

jenclair said...

Love the way you incorporated the tie dyed pants and the musical notes into your feathered peace. You did a great job of honoring "the importance of music in our lives...and ideas of peaceful coexistence...and all of the good feelings we get from these things."

It is a happy piece, and I'm sure your guy feels honored!

jude said...

oh this is just swell!

Nancy said...

Jenclair- Thank you. I sure was sad when the pants had devolved so much that they would no longer stay on me :)

Jude- Glad you like! I'm working on a couple more, then I'll mail them off to you.

handstories said...

groovy! love the bit of music w/your version of fringe, what happy happy feathers!

Nancy said...

Thanks Cindy!

Nancy said...

Michelle- I meant to include this link:
http://wikis.milkenschool.org/MS_Humanities_Enrichment/%22Eleven%22_by_Sandra_Cisneros