Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Two Days


 Two days
Today and again tomorrow
 I remember and honor my mother
Today, for the first time, I attend the Kever Avot Memorial Service.
It is a day to remember loved ones 
and recognize their impact in our lives.
I think of my mother and father.  I think of other family members
and close family friends.
We listen to the sound of the Shofar, reflect on the rabbi's words, 
and hear the cantor's beautiful singing.
Tears are shed. 


We Remember Them
In the rising of the sun and in its going down,
We remember them.
 In the blowing of the wind and in the chill of winter,
We remember them.
 In the opening of the buds and in the rebirth of spring,
We remember them. 
In the blueness of the sky and the warmth of summer,
We remember them.
In the rustling of the leaves and in the beauty of autumn,
We remember them.
In the beginning of the year and when it ends,
We remember them.
When we are weary and in need of strength,
We remember them.
When we are lost and sick at heart,
We remember them. 
When we have decisions that are difficult to make,
We remember them. 
When we have achievements that are based on theirs,
We remember them. 
So long as we live, they too shall live,
For they are now a part of us.
As we remember them. 

-RABBI SYLVAN KAMEN AND RABBI JACK RIEMER


Then our small group of four visits the gravesites of our loved ones.
It is a beautiful day, blue skies, cloud wisps and a warm breeze.
My sister brings chairs and so we sit and share memories.
We laugh.  We are quiet.  We listen to each other and other visitors with a need to share.
We brush off our loved one's markers and leave small white pebbles from Jerusalem.
We bring flowers.

We relish the beauty of the day, the meaningful service, spending time at each gravesite.
Spending time with loved ones.
It's a good day.


Tomorrow is the anniversary of my mother's passing.
At sundown I light a candle for her.
I will spend more time reflecting on and learning from our lives together.


You can learn more about the Yahrzeit candle here.
Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2011



6 comments:

woman with wings said...

Oh, Nancy, I knew I was probably going to cry when I saw those first lines. The "we remember them" chant is beautiful. I'll be thinking of you this day while you're remembering your mother. Love, Peggy

Ms. ∆×∆p×≥h/4π said...

One of the loveliest remembrance chants I've ever read. Thank you for sharing.

handstories said...

thoughts for you and yours today.ooo

Nancy said...

Peggy, Michelle & Cindy - Thank you for your kind comments. We Will Remember Them really resonated with me.
Today was filled with loving memories, but it was hard too.

jenclair said...

Thank you for sharing We Will Remember Them.

Nancy said...

Jenclair- You're welcome. It was so touching to be amongst 200+ people reciting this together.