Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Mother & Daughter Feathers

I've recently finished these two feathers for Jude's Magic Feather Project.  
They are done in the ragged applique technique.
 









Jude has invited everyone to join in by creating their own unique feather.


These two feathers are to honor my mother, a true 'book person'.
They are to honor the way she raised my sister and me 
to be book people too.  
And how she helped instill a love of books in her grandchildren too. 
My mother was a Junior High English Teacher for 20 years and 
a children's bookseller for another 20 years.
She was books, catalogs and the daily newspaper.
She was song lyrics written by others, rewritten by her.
She was hand written letters and plenty of emails.
She was a curious learner and a superb teacher.
She was language and intelligence and humor.
She was so much more, so much more.

Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2011





12 comments:

Ms. ∆×∆p×≥h/4π said...

Those wizened, sensitive hands say so much of that "much more".

deanna7trees said...

how lucky you are to have had such a mom. we are all a reflection of our past.

Nancy said...

Michelle-Yes her hands - sensitive, very.

Deanna-We were all so lucky to have her in our lives and we all truly know that.

handstories said...

my kind of woman!

Nancy said...

Mine too Cindy!
Here is a reading campaign for tomorrow:
http://www.jstart.org/site/PageServer?pagename=readfortherecord_about

Cheers Mom!!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

what a wonderful photograph to have. it made me think that this
is the photograph i would like my
"girls", daughter/grand d to have
to represent me.

woman with wings said...

Just lovely, Nancy. I wish I had a photo of my mother's hands like you do. Although they are permanently ingrained in my mind's eye, it would be so nice to have a photo, as well...and we are book people, too. :)

Nancy said...

Grace- I have 'hand' pictures of most of the important people in my life, put them together in a slide show, and my own as well.

Peggy-I took several photos of her hands years ago. I had some art project in mind at the time. Can't remember it now, of course. My mom was not fond of her hands, but I love them. When I look at the photos I can remember the way they moved, the way they felt, the way they communicated love.

deanna7trees said...

Nancy,
I do not see a way to contact you here other than leaving a comment. I would be happy to send you some silk linen that is wonderful for eco-dyeing. e-mail me if you are interested.

Nancy said...

Thanks Deanna...email on it's way :)

jenclair said...

The tribute to your mother really touched me. I took pics of my mother's hands years ago for many of the same reasons.

Nancy said...

Jenclair- I am so thankful that I took these pictures. Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment.