Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Update #2 - Stitching - Traditions - Maps



Family traditions counter alienation and confusion. 
They help us define who we are; 
they provide something steady, reliable and safe in a confusing world.
Susan Lieberman
It looks like a map to us, a trail of sorts


 The invisible baste has been completed.  He still wants to cut out the white triangle, to make 'cat ears'.  I am unsure if he will add any more stitches to this cloth.  But, it has already worked a bit of magic as he wrapped it around the throbbing fingers
he accidentally closed in the bathroom door.  Ouch!
"It is really soft" he claims as he cradles his hurt hand in the other one.

My walking map


How many times makes a tradition?  Can it be just a couple of times if the memories are strong enough?  Can it be spread over years, sprinkled here and there?  Can a tradition pop up unexpectedly, sort of after the fact?  And then you say in surprise, "Oh ya, we have been doing that!"  Or you say,  "Well look at that, we all like doing this or that!"  Or maybe the tradition comes on slowly after you notice a comfortable sameness, a certain pattern.  Then you proclaim, "Let's keep doing this!  Let's make it our tradition!"
It seems my immediate family has some sort of connection to maps!
On the way to preschool - Map by my daughter, aged 3
I once wrote a question on the interactive white board in my classroom.  It was early fall and my question focused on Traditions.  
What traditions do you and your family share during the fall and winter seasons?
One mother claimed that her family had no specific traditions.  This led to a wonderful rich conversation defining what traditions may be and then expanding on that definition even more.  She came back to me months later and spoke of what her family does to celebrate the winter holidays.  She came back to me years later and mentioned that she still thought of our conversation.  I basked in our ongoing connection.  Posting that question each fall became a classroom tradition!

My son decorates with maps!


“Tradition is the handing down orally of stories, beliefs, and
customs from generation to generation.”

“Traditions can be adapted from familiar comfortable patterns. 
Traditions don’t have to be old.”

“Traditions provide stability and help us focus on what is important.”
-Origin Unknown, Shared by a dear friend


 What traditions do you share with family and friends?
Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2011

4 comments:

handstories said...

first off, love maps, that map back is great. Blue & I made a collage map of the neighborhood when he was 4, that I love (it included a bit of freeway that led to the toy store). and i like that quote you have of traditions being comfortable patterns. we have lots of those in our world...bacon waffles on sat. morn., take-out & a video on fri. eve., etc., & a new book on the 1st day of school, chicken for thanksgiving dinner. thanks for bringing all of this to mind.

Nancy said...

Awww...Cindy thanks for the comment. I kind of felt like this was a scattered post that may not make sense to others, but it's what I wanted to say anyway!
One of my past families told me that on Christmas day they make a big pot of chicken noodle soup and leave it on the stove for everyone to dish up a bowl when they felt like it. Something about chicken noodle soup spoke to me (being Jewish maybe!!) and having it on Christmas day seemed like a great idea! I've always remembered her story. Thanks for sharing yours!

woman with wings said...

It made sense to me, Nancy, and it brought up some thoughts on this time in my life when i seem to be letting go of our old traditions/patterns and making new ones now that our family is growing so fast! And just when I'd gotten so efficient, too...ha.

Nancy said...

Peggy- Oh good, sometimes one never knows! I too have let go of many old traditions and tried to create new ones. Children move on, parents die and one wonders why they are carrying on in the same old ways. I guess for me it is because I love the familiar security that traditions bring :)