Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Soar



I have never thought of myself of someone who could draw.  But the other day as I sat between meetings, in a long afternoon of stressful meetings...after some very stressful days...days of definite thrashing...Well, the other day I picked up my pen and began to doodle on my trusty steno pad.  I was not even thinking about what I was doing, I was just moving the pen.  I made the two shapes that looked quite a bit like wings.  Then I added a head like shape.  Mmmm... I thought and added a body with some tail feathers.  I placed an eye and a feather floating off and next a spiral down below.  I sat and looked at this little drawing and reflected on the conversations recently about personal symbol.  I thought wow these are all things important to me.  What else is a 'standard' for me?  What other images pull me in, hold personal meaning?  So, I added the little leaf.  I looked again and moved the pen towards the paper.  And then I felt it...the magic spark go out.  I couldn't think of a thing to add.  I knew it wouldn't come out right if I tried.  Because I was ...trying.  I stopped and sat there waiting for the person to return and the meeting to continue.
I sat staring at this little treasure and felt such a connection to it.  I felt such pleasure from not only ending up with a drawing that I liked, but from the process of drawing it.  The flow, without even trying; things moved from my heart, down my arm and out of my pen...landing softly on the paper for me to see.  It was something else!  It was something I have always wanted to feel.  I hope to experience this again one day soon.  Ahhh...
Here is a little perspective on it's size

I have looked at this drawing several times and thought that maybe it came to me so easily so I could manifest it someway in stitch and fabric.  Maybe it would find its way into diaries or on the little heart sampler.  Yes I am still working on it!  I am finding that I am a very slow hand stitcher (Jude you make it look so easy!) and I easily loose focus these days.  I have had so little time, until recently, that I could use for more than zoning out with my computer.  I am hoping that will soon change.  I have however sewn the bear down...wrapped him in a blanket stitch to keep him warm!  :)
Most recently I have been wrap stitching my 'broken heart'.  Take a look...
While I wish I could finish more work, I am really enjoying the slow cloth community I have joined, the recent mental and spiritual stimulation and friendship I have encountered there is breathtaking.  While I wish for fabrics to hand dye or a wider variety of cloth (I've enough quilter's cotton to last 3 lifetimes!)... I will work with what I have in my own style and my own evolution.  If I ever come to a place of completion with this little heart sampler, 
it will stay deep within my own heart for a very very long time to come.  
And if it becomes a life project like my Shoe Project... that will be OK too.
Whatever happens next...I am ready to soar!

Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2011
 

15 comments:

helen said...

That magic spark going out is something I am very familiar with and it makes me sad that it does not visit more often. I feel quite greedy for it actually, but...

I love what you have drawn and hope to see it in your cloth work. Your bear is a delight in his blanket stitch :~)))

Happy soaring Nancy ~

deanna7trees said...

i'm loving your little drawing. i think the more one draws or doodles, the more the inspired ones appear. hope to see it in fabric someday. i really like your heart piece and the way you layered your fabric.

Nancy said...

Helen- It was just so fun to be able to draw something as I have always wanted to! I am keeping the little scrap near me as I create.
Thank you for the comment on my cloth. One day more of its story will be told!
Deanna-yes, good point one does need practice and higher statistical odds!! So more doodling is in order!
Yes this new (to me) way of sewing and layering fabrics feels so right. I am really enjoying it! Thanks for the comments.

Cheryl Razmus said...

Yaaayy for the drawing of personal symbols! I think working in Jude's community of stitchers is teaching us that while we can all follow the same theme, we wil each sew with our own thread. Lovely post. Great warm pics. I love the picture of your hand next to the whisp of paper. Something special in the touch.

Jeannie said...

I also know that feeling of drawing effortlessly and then poof! it is gone. Your drawing is wonderful and I do hope it finds its way to one of your stitchings. I also have enough quilter's cottons to last several life times. I have been overdyeing them and sometimes getting wonderful results. Also, if you want to try indigo (I use Jacquard's kit from Dharma), it takes the original color of the cloth out except where you have used resist (i.e. stitching, folds). This leads to some wonderful results and is quite easy to do. Wishing you a healed heart and a beautiful week ahead.

Nancy said...

Cheryl- Yes I too like the variety of styles blooming forth from Jude's students. Life would be pretty boring if we all expressed ourselves in the same way! I do feel a shift in my creative self though. Hands are another gravity pull for me!
Jeannie-It was kind of funny in a way, as I have never felt that before, but I really could *feel* a click of change during the drawing experience. So interesting. I will keep your over-dying tip in mind. Ah...heartaches...a part of life that come and go, eh?!

cindy said...

i love how you love your drawing- being your own inspiration is a lovely thing.

Notjustnat said...

I have those meetings too and might try my hand on drawing next time I'm in one of those boring meeting hehe! I hope to see you stitching it soon - thanks for visiting my blog too - Hugs Nat

Nancy said...

Cindy- Thank you for that, as I think it often may be seen as 'bragging' and that is so not me! But, don't get me started on how much I love my own photographs!!! LOL In my defense, I love other's words, photos, art as well! Inspiration is a funny thing, eh?
Nat- I usually don't have 'those' meetings and I am not to good at it. Besides these were full of stress and worry. Blech! I'll take boring over that any day! Thanks for stopping by too :)

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

well...i think this bird is a
very very very beautiful and
IMPORTANT BIRD
i love it. really.
and...i came back to look at again this morning because i think it is helping me understand that if i will want to use some image repeatedly, it's basic form is very important. it needs to express something very energetically personal, but also
be a simple enough form to be repeated with regularity. am thinking about all this as i work on an Eye.
so...thank you. thank you for
your oh so great drawing and thank you for sharing it with us....
xoxoxo

Nancy said...

Thank you for your kind comment Grace. It means a lot.

Tammy said...

Nancy .. I've been spying over at the SewIn and saw your green heart and came over here to have a look at your blog. I had to comment on this one because of the drawing. I was really touched by your reaction to what you drew. I loved how much it pleased you to and it is a very nice one. I do think that it happened just they way you so beautifully described it .. it feels like such a a gift to yourself. I have really enjoyed the interactions that I've had with all the stitching ladies .. and while I love to draw there is something more primal about mark making with stitches. I don't quite understand it but it has a definite quality that feeds the soul... nice to see you here on your blog .. :)

Nancy said...

Tammy- Thanks for stopping by! I am not sure how I feel about making a mark by drawing, as I have never done it! Ha!
But I ma certainly enjoying learning about making your mark with stitch. Reading the conversations over at Grace's makes me wonder where I will be after a years time!
It will be fun to experience it unfolding.

Kim said...

How cool! I like the little birdy :)

Nancy said...

Yeah Kim, pretty fun, eh?!!