Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Linking with Love

Well, this is just a quick post to bring to you attention that I have a new button on my page.  In my post Telling Stories, I told you of many places I like to go to find good stories.  Today I had a story from Brene Brown come into my email inbox.  This was not a warm and fuzzy story.  This was more like a, "Are you kidding???  Who would DO that???" story.  You can read about it straight from Brene, but the part that horrified me was that someone would go to the trouble to transcribe her whole TEDX talk and then post it on their own blog and claim it as their own!!!  So, I grabbed the Link with Love button and placed it here in the right sidebar.  You can click right on it to go to the site!  :)  By the way, this took a bit of learning on my part as I had not 'grabbed a button' before!  But I must say, that Gretchen Rubin of The Happiness Project is right, the challenge of learning something new really does give ya a shot of happiness!  I have found much of what she writes to be true happiness boosts!  I inadvertently left her out of my Telling Stories post.  But, she belongs there.  I've had great fun reading her book!
Anyway, I digress.
As far as the taking what is not yours, telling stories that are not yours to tell and so on...Please Don't.  This has always been a pet peeve of mine, way before this blog, way before an abundance of Internet issues.  Give credit where credit is due. Period.  It is that easy.
Well, it is mostly easy.  I apologize to any mistake in crediting I may make.  Often as I travel from site to site to site, it is easy to forget where something came from.  I don't mean to forget and I work very hard to link or give credit to all original material.  So, if I have made an error, please let me know as it was not intentional.
The second challenge with all of this linking and such is that it can prove to be a distraction in the reading flow and it can take you, my dear readers (lol) off to other sites - never to return to me!  Mmmm...most writers don't want their readers to wander off (for too long!)
However those two concerns are nothing in comparison to the ethical transgression I would feel if I handled it any other way.
Let me know what you think...leave a comment below and don't forget to link back!



4 comments:

michele twhichaye said...

hmmm... i think of linking as a natural part of being in the conversation. being a part of. like neighbor's talking over the back fence. letting your other neighbor what wonderful things are going on over at so and so's house.
but of course there are many different intentions of folks on the internet.

so happy you came by nancy... now i get to peep over your fence :) hahahahha

Nancy said...

I like the neighbor quality too. I am glad we've stopped by each other's space to chat for a while! See ya soon! lol

helen said...

It is one of my pet peeves too Nancy. I can't really understand why anyone would want to do that...stealing never gives that warm fuzzy satisfied feeling that doing your own work gives...or maybe it does to them?

I've just become a 'follower' so the links won't take me too far :~)

Nancy said...

Thanks for the support and being my newest follower! It's nice to have you here!