Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Now, Then & Back Again


I’m sitting tonight with some stitching and silence,
except the familiar voices coming from my trusty laptop.
For as I sew hearts with threads of varied colors,
I am listening to old recordings of my mother and Nana 
chatting about family history.
Both are no longer here to share in the day-to-day events in my life.
Both are missed dearly.
I am sewing, stitching...present in the moment.
I pop in on my computer to switch to the next recording, check a stitch video or post a comment in my newly embraced community.  Then I relax…settle in, cloth in hand.
And I am back in the early 1980’s listening to a mother and daughter reviewing, discovering and sharing lives intertwined.  The quality is a bit fuzzy, but I listen with fine-tuned ears to the familiar banter of my family.  I recognize our history and our family culture. I smile as my mom references the recent birth of my son.  I pause and reflect on myself as a mother and grandmother...my daughter, my sister and her daughters...my dear friend and her mother, daughters and granddaughter...all in a long chain, a big circle of women.
Connected over time...
Listening, I hold my breath as mother and daughter try, almost in vain, 
to recall some small detail in their past.  
 I laugh out loud at the sound of their laughter and my grandmother’s occasional swear word. 
I am held captive by their excited voices trying to talk over one another
or as they complete one another’s sentences.
I embrace family phrases and sentiment and humor.  I hear common values, traits and interests, for I share more than just our three generations with these two women. 
I share an eternity with them.  And I wallow in a sense of place. 
Happy Mother’s Day
to all of the important women, both now and then.

My Aunt, my Nana and my Mom - 1941
My sister and I share some laughs with our Nana
My sister and I sit for a photo with our mom

Photos by NAE @pomegranatetrail ©2011

7 comments:

Debi From the Pacific Northwest said...

What a lovely post! I sooo wish I had recordings of my mom and grandmother. They are missed a LOT on Mother's day. I hope you have a wonderful one!

Debi

helen said...

very nice post. you are very lucky to have those recordings.I'm not a mother (in the non swear sense) but I do miss MY mother, and more than just mother's day. Happy day to you and yours!

Cheryl Razmus said...

Welcome to Blogland, Nancy! No need to know where it will go. It goes best where your life takes it. I am only in this world six months, and so enjoy the people I am meeting here. I love that photo of you girs with your Mom. Such genuine love radiates from it. Happy Mother's Day!

Kim said...

Beautiful post, Nancy!

Nancy said...

Thanks Kim! And thanks for making my listening possible! (((HUGS)))

cindy said...

wishing for my own recordings. great memories here. and sweet green hearts.

woman with wings said...

Nancy, loved this -- to be able to listen to their voices as you stitch, how amazing is that! I can imagine it, but you really experience it.